Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching Between Audio Channels  (Read 2689 times)

Jaygee61

Topic Starter

Rookie

Switching Between Audio Channels
    « on: July 16, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
    Hey again ya'll!

Ok...  got an audio related question.  My system is running onboard audio (VIA VT8237A/8251 High Definition Audio Controller).  I have the three audio jacks on the back of my system (Speaker/Mic/Line In) and the two jacks on the front (Speaker/Mic).  What I'd like to be able to do is connect my desktop speakers to the rear speaker jack and connect my headset (headphones/mic) to the front jacks, leave them all connected full time, and somehow switch between the two when I need to.

Is this possible and if so how would I go about setting it up and switching between the audio jacks?

Thanks!
    J.G.
    :: Generic ATX Mid-tower :: Okia 450W PSU :: Biostar P4M900-M4 board :: Intel Northwood Pentium 4 2.53 GHz :: BFG GeForce 7300 GS 512MB PCIe X16 :: 2GB Transcend PC5300 DDR2 RAM :: Onboard VIA Audio :: Dual 40GB HDD :: Windows XP Home SP3 ::

Jaygee61

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Switching Between Audio Channels
      « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
      oh come on...  really???   ???
      :: Generic ATX Mid-tower :: Okia 450W PSU :: Biostar P4M900-M4 board :: Intel Northwood Pentium 4 2.53 GHz :: BFG GeForce 7300 GS 512MB PCIe X16 :: 2GB Transcend PC5300 DDR2 RAM :: Onboard VIA Audio :: Dual 40GB HDD :: Windows XP Home SP3 ::

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • My first self-built computer
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
      I have no idea:

The only options I see for your Azalia HDA controller is 'Auto' or 'Disabled".

1- does the rear output silence when a device is plugged into the front speaker/headphone output jack?

If so the only way I could guess would be to jumper the circuit through a disconnect switch for the rear jack so that circuit can stay closed when a device is plugged into it. Then I guess you'll need a disconnect switch on front if you don't want to unplug it, but either way it will take hands on.

Hope this helps a tad. Hope you get it figured out.  :)

Jaygee61

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
        Hmmmm...  ok, so basically there's no software that would allow me to switch between the front and rear inputs?  Seems the only option is some type of external switch...  well *censored*!

Thanks for the tip!