Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Defender...  (Read 3405 times)

ranknfile

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows Defender...
    « on: July 16, 2009, 05:53:54 AM »
    Hey Guys...Here is the problem I've been having...

Every time I turn my computer on Windows defender fails to start up and this pops up every time...

Windows Defender
    "Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba.  A problem caused this programs service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search help and support for how to start service manually"

Anyone have any ideas?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows Defender...
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
    Just remove windows defender from system startup (so it doesn't automatically load on startup)... windows defender doesn't really do anything anyway. Should work as advertised,  but in my 3 or so years with it, it's found 1 or 2 things anyway.

follow the instructions from the following link: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/vista/remove-windows-defender-from-vista-system-startup/

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »
    But also make sure you replace it with an anti-virus software.  ;)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
    Windows Defender, and AV program are two different animals.

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
    Windows Defender, and AV program are two different animals.

Grrrr (that was my animal impression).
    But if like my Norton AV it protects everything that WD would do surelly. Hence why you have to de-activate WD when installing Norton. Even though I re-activated mine just to be sure.  :D

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
    WD is NOT an AV program. It's more of  antispyware, but in any case, I've never seen it catching anything.

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
    WD is NOT an AV program. It's more of  antispyware, but in any case, I've never seen it catching anything.

Something new every day on here. To be fair I have never relied on WD and probably used it once.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
    It mainly prevents registry changes, which is suppose to prevent malwares from making those changes, but in reality, from what I can see, malware writers easily work around that issue.

2x3i5x

Expert
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »
    in my opinion, as a windows user, just get a good firewall, an antivirus software that updates at least once a day and have malwarebyte antimalware and superantispyware handy.

That's probably enough to take care of your computer, along with common sense

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
    superantispyware

I have Norton and Malwarebytes where do I get some superantispyware from? Sounds like a modern day comic book hero!  ;D

2x3i5x

Expert
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html --> get it here.... free is fine (same as professional edition except everything's manual)

Superantispyware is on evilfantasy's list of recommended anti-malware software and sounded like a superman gadget when I first came across it. ;D

Of course no scanner is 100% perfect so having these two softwares should give a better chance of diagnosing problems if there was one....  unless you meant Superman is perfect?  :D

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:48 PM »
    unless you meant Superman is perfect?  :D

Would not go as far as perfect he has that big Kryptonite issue and his mum in those new ones was the woman he was trying to bump uglies with in the original films (dirty superman).  ;D

Cheers for the link though I'll check it out!

Arwin

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »
      It could be Malware, but it's probably just Microsoft..

Uninstall Defender, and they suggest reinstalling which should work.. (Though there r others out there, which r better)

That was ( a couple of years ago) a common error with defender, not now though, those bugs should be out of it.

The last couple of times I've seen it, it's being a symptom of a machine with a Fake AV program on it..

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »
      The last couple of times I've seen it, it's being a symptom of a machine with a Fake AV program on it..

Where did you get this tid bit from?

Arwin

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 09:13:46 PM »
        A HP laptop sitting beside me is the obvious one, which I'm  going to start working on once I got another prob solved.  It's had 3 seperate fake AV progs on it.  Getting into the file system to see what's savable is a hassle let alone anything else. 

Before the system died entirely though it had 2-3 weeks of warning messages that windows defender couldn't start, then they gave it to me to fix.

I've seen it a couple of other times to.  Machines with fake AV/ Anti Spyware on them and the only obvious sign of anything wrong is Windows Defender errors.

I use defender (it's kicked in once..) I've never had too many hassles with it in Vista, but in XP it was giving me trouble for ages.. Removing it and then reloading it normally works but not always..