Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, how can I get my Outlook.pst files back?  (Read 6787 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Help, how can I get my Outlook.pst files back?
    « on: May 28, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »
    Please someone help me get my outlook files back!  I did something very stupid (didn't realize it at the time).  I opened the Find file window and searched for .pst files of which it found 2 files.  I then clicked on them and moved them to my desktop.  I thought I was copying them.   I did this because I was trying to save my outlook data files i.e. address book, emails to my desktop so that I can then save it to my flash drive.  I'm trying to back up everything before installing Windows XP (currently I have Windows ME).  But, I goofed!  When I tried to open outlook it said it couldn't find the right path and asked if I wanted to open a default folder.  I said yes, but I didn't get my original set up back :'(  I tried to do a Restore but I got a error message indicating that I didn't have enough disk space!  Please help!

Raptor

Re: Help, how can I get my Outlook.pst files back?
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:55:55 AM »
    Marlene, are the files you have moved to your desktop still present on your Hard Disk Drive?

Paul Hen

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 08:29:53 PM »
    Marlene,

I have never run ME but the outlook pst files should be found in win explorer under your c drive Documents and Settings. Look under your user profile and go to desktop directory and you should find the files (unless you actually only made shortcuts on your desktop). You can then copy them back to your default directory or any where else you want them to reside. If it was me, I would copy them to TWO places (this serves as an instant backup). This all assumes ME is similar to XP. You can change the path that outlook uses to locate the files as well.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 03:47:31 PM »
      Yes, my files are still present on my hardrive.  And, I still have my address book but, my contacts folder is blank.
      I know the files are there, but I just don't know how to get  them back to where they were.  When I try and open the outlook file (in the applications folder) I get  a warning about trying to do so because they are data files and then it asks which program I want to use to open it with.  Well, I just close the whole thing because I don't want to mess up anything  :-/
      Not sure what to do at this point.  

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:19:44 AM »
      When I try and open the outlook file (in the applications folder) I get  a warning about trying to do so because they are data files and then it asks which program I want to use to open it with.  Well, I just close the whole thing because I don't want to mess up anything

If these files are normally used by Outlook express, it is safe to continue.

Be certain to untag Always open this type of file with this program.

Monty Palmer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
      Marlene,

This is something that we can fix easily.   First you need to replace the .pst to the documents and settings\<your account name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder.  You should be able to see this folder becuase you were able to pull the .pst out from there.  If not, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools-> Folder Options click on the View Tab, and click the radio button that says "show hidden files and folders".  Now you will be able to access that directory.  You must use Windows Explorer and not My Documents to access the folder.  

When you replace the .pst in that directory, open Outlook.  Should you recieve any alerts, accept them and continue.  If any of your folders are empty, go to File-> Open -> Outlook Data File and find the .pst that you just replaced.  Open it.  You might now have two instances of your user file open, but all of the data that is intact will be accessible.  Your contact data is all part of the .pst and should be there.

Hope this helps,

Monty Palmer
      President
      Paltechs
      [email protected]
      www.paltechs.com

johnson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 01:01:07 PM »
      how can you open a email from outlook 2000  ???that has been sent with
      an attachment that takes a long tim to open?

is their a better way to open it? without having to wait?
      to long.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »
        I still can't get my contacts folder back :( How is it possbile to still have my address book without having anything in the contact folder?  I'm pretty sure I didn't delete anything. I tried to open outlook files through the data managment option in Outlook but that didn't work to produce a full contact folder.  I'm still stumped  ???

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 02:11:17 PM »
        Have you done as I said, MarleneD?