Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Delete File Type Action (Probably an Easy Fix but I'm stumped)  (Read 3434 times)

Text

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ok. Here's my problem:

In Windows XP in Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types>Select "File Folder">Then click "Advanced"
    Now you are where I am at.

What I have done is entered a new action for "File Folder" when I meant to enter the action for just "Folder". Unfortunately, I am unable to remove the action I entered. There are several actions that I am unable to remove.  How can I remove them?

The action I created is titled "Create File Listing" and I want to remove it but it does not allow me as the "remove" button is grayed out. Can someone please show me how to remove this action?

Thank you
    -Text

Below is the screen shot for your visual aid

[attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:42:41 PM by Text »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    System Restore?

Text

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Seems like that the answer to everything. When in doubt, reverse everything because no one knows how to do anything in the registry. But no. It takes a little more experience to fix the issue.

After finding a place with geekier people, I have since fixed the problem myself.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell] was set to "OPEN" or "FIND" and you can't change it in the actions list. So you have to edit the registry.  All I had to do was replace the Value Data with "NONE"

Problem solved.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      I'm sorry for not being geeky enough....<gasp>

Salmon Trout

Should return his joining fee

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      The refund check is in the mail as we speak...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "