Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: moving HP hardrive to a Dell?  (Read 18919 times)

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

moving HP hardrive to a Dell?
    « on: July 20, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »
    HELP Can I do this? here is the problem- I had a bad power supply on my HP pavilion a465c- I bought a new one and in the process of changing it I wound up breaking the "carrier" that holds the CPU and also several of the tiny pins got bent on the CPU itself (I think one even snapped off) from trying to plug it back in. I also have a Dell computer that also runs windows xp I dont have the model # it was a refurb from Overstock.com bit its the same version of windows XP if that helps.. The Dell now has a partitioned hardrive and no way for me to figure out how to unpartition it without spending money I dont have. There was no recovery software that came with the Dell so I had to partition it just to get it up and running after the husband got an evil virus on it. anyway I have a working Dell and a no longer working HP I have physically moved the hardrive from the HP to the Dell (removed the Dell harddrive} but on booting it says there is no hardrive...what do I do? HELP !! I need all the info that is on that hardrive the HP has been my main desktop since 2004 and there is very important info on it that I never got to backup. How do I find what I need to do? Is this a jumper switch or should I change the cables from the HP to the Dell or what? I lost my job in March and dont have the $$ to get this done, I have to figure it out myself....I have some knowledge but obviously not enough  ??? is this way beyond what you can help me with?

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: moving HP hardrive to a Dell?
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
    The new computer will not boot the old hard drive. Windows cannot be swapped like that from computer to computer. You only option is to put the dell HD into the dell. You can add the HP HD and have to HD's but you will need a new cable most likely that supports 2 HD's Then you have to set one of them to Master(Dell HD) and the other to Slave.
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
      but the Dell hardrive is ng. I had to partition it just to try to recover his files (he is an artist and some had been sold) I moved what I could off if it to a different computer using a portable device, the only way to even get into windows on it was very complicated....the Dell is not a new computer but a refurbished one that I have had for about two years, after it had crashed from the virus the way I got it to boot up was using my HP XP recovery disk and then was able to get into the partitioned files and take them off....

jowolf359

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
        The Hp and the Dell have to different chipsets. The HD on the HP is read and refused because it is for a different computer and different motherboard and chipset. You would have to have both computers with the same motherboard for the swap to work.

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »
          Oh well guess all is lost then, thanks anyway :'(

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
          no all is not lost.

You will have to use the Dell HD and reinstall windows on the Dell. You have the recovery disk so you have all the tools to do it.

Just put in the Dell HD. Then put in your recovery disk. Choose an option to Restore your computer to factory settings. Then it will take a while.

Then like I said before put the second HD as slave to recover your files.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
          If you have a portable HD you can try this to recover important files.

Download Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com and burn it to a disk

Install the HD you want to recover files from into the computer. Also plug in your Portable HD

Boot Ubuntu from the disk. DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL. You can run it live without installing it.

When it all comes up its similar to windows. You should now have access to the old HD and the Portable HD and you can transfer files over.

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
            I dont have a portable hard drive. I have a 4gb USB flashdrive that I used to move the files- took a lot of trips...the Dell hardrive still has windows on it but its partitioned and I dont think I can unpartition it without buying software which I cant afford to do. The HP harddrive is good but the HP CPU is messed up with bent pins and a broken holder which held it to the motherboard. I checked the pins on the two different hard drives and the HP has one less pin and one pin isolated with a cap that seems to be permanent?- the jumper is the same but thats all. I guess in essence this is far beyond my scope of ability.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »
            You dont need any special software to un-partition a HD. But it will erase all the information on it. You recovery disk for the Dell should be able to do this and put windows back on it like new without any viruses ect...

Your best chance is to make 1 working computer and set the HP hard drive to slave  to transfer the important files to that computer.

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
              there is NO recovery disc for the Dell it didnt come with one and I had no idea that he would crash the computer so easily, anyway I used my recovery cd from my HP Desktop on the Dell desktop and got it running to the point that I can get into windows and then do a search for the files (it looks in the partitioned section) If the dell had a recovery disc I would have never had to partition the drive to get it running

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »
              So you got the HP hard drive to work on the Dell?

If you want I can find a link for you to purchase the recovery disks for your Dell. Just post your model number.

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
                no I didnt get the HP Hardrive to work on the Dell I got the recovery discs to work on it. I Tried to get the HP hardrive to work and it wont. I dont know the model # of the Dell and I lost my job so I dont have the $$ to waste on recovery discs for that anyway. I am trying to resurrect the HP computer and the HP # is in my original post. I dont need the recovery disc for that computer I have them. To me the Dell was a waste of money, it didnt even come with recover discs or software discs- it was all preloaded. The Dell was a refurbished desktop but still you would think they would have had a recovery disc for it. All of the HP computers I have bought had recovery discs, even the one that I bought that was a refurb years ago had it.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
                I bought a new one and in the process of changing it I wound up breaking the "carrier" that holds the CPU and also several of the tiny pins got bent on the CPU itself (I think one even snapped off) from trying to plug it back in.

If you damaged the CPU then you will need a new one.  No choice or options there.
                Evil is an exact science.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
                Sometimes you can download for free.

Also there are some builds that give you the ability to create a recovery disk when you first start the new computer.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »
                Sometimes you can download for free.

Also there are some builds that give you the ability to create a recovery disk when you first start the new computer.

Downloading won't do a damned thing.  If the CPU pins are damaged as in broken, then a new one is required.

Nuff Sed.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
                Read the first damned post where the OP explained there is a Dell and a HP. These are two different computers. Only one has a broken cpu. The one that is perfectly fine has no recovery disks.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
                Sorry fat, that opener is a bit confusing.

I'm gonna scratch my brain a bit on this one.

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
                The HP and the Dell will use two different sets of drivers and won't be compatible.

Will the Dell boot without the HP drive connected?  If so then it is probably a matter of the jumpers on the hard disk.

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
                  I am going to try to take a picture of the part I am referring to. There is a black "frame" for lack of a better word and there are two metal clamps that go over that frame and the heatsink and fan mount on top of that with screws- the CPU is on the backside of the heatsink and plugs into a socket on the mother board with the black frame broken I used two zipties to hold it on to the socket attached to the mother board.....it seems like one pin is about half as long now but not all the way broken off and there are a few slightly bent pins....its very hard for me to see this tiny part....this is the CPU Correct??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
                  That is the CPU, but if it's damaged you won't get anywhere with it.  Are you trying to boot from the other drive or get the defective machine to boot?

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
                    my goal was to have one working desktop computer out of the two computers without having to buy any expensive parts- its not looking like that is a possability. I was hoping that I could just put the HP hardrive in the Dell (which has a bad partitioned hardrive that I removed) but I should have known it wasnt that easy. I was hoping that they were compatible. OK now where can I buy a cpu with the black frame? Any suggestions for an old part like this its a pentium 4 from my HP Pavilion a465c I am obviously not that computer literate and am trying to fix this with very limited funds

Quantos

Guru
                    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »
                    So the HP has the damaged chip, and the Dell has a drive that won't boot.  Is this correct?

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »
                      correct the HP with its shiny new power supply now has a bad cpu due to my error and the dell will not boot the hd that is in it due to partitioning

Quantos

Guru
                      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »
                      I would write off the HP unless you can find a new CPU for it.  The Dell will not boot with the HP drive due to driver discrepancies.  Do you have any boot disks for the Dell?

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
                        no boot discs for the dell at all-I got into its hardrive by partitioning the drive and reloading windows with my HP Recovery disks (Yes on the Dell) it worked for what I needed to do I had been presented with a blue screen computer and formating was out of the question- didnt want to lose all of his artworks files....just FYI I am self taught so this is a bear for me to figure out when things crash :-\

Quantos

Guru
                        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »
                        Is there another computer that you can attach the HDD to to recover the images?

ilambert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
                          I handled that issue and moved the images to another computer with a flash drive, I dont have another computer to restore all of my files from the HP. his images were on the dell and I moved them to his two year old HP desktop. With no restore discs for the Dell I cant format the HD but if I did will it still be partitioned? I ask stupid questions I know, but I try not to format hardrives they lose years worth of info.

Quantos

Guru
                          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »
                          Chances are that if you try the reinstall with the wrong disks that you will destroy the partition.

I would recommend putting the valuable disk into an external USB enclosure and recovering the images that way.