Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer stops in booting process  (Read 3107 times)

Max Mashburn

computer stops in booting process
« on: May 29, 2005, 11:20:59 AM »
Pentium 3 running Millineum.  When booting up, I receive the following message. "When UDMA CABLE in Bio setup item set to 80 pin, you must use 80 conductor cable. Suggested SDRAM CAS Latency Time is "2"
I can never get past this point.  I can get into the Bio/Cmos setup windows, but once I come out it stops at the same point and gives me the same message. Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, I can get rid of part of the error message that says "suggested SDRAM Cas Latency Time is 2, by changing the number to 2 in the Bios setup, but the UDMA CABLE error message is a constant.  I unplugged the computer when I went on vacation and when I started it up, this error message began.  Any help would be appreciated.
Max

rs8389

Re: computer stops in booting process
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
Are you using a 40 conductor cable?  It may be possible that when putting your computer back together, you accidentally switched cables...

They are indeed compatible with eachother, so the 40 conductor cable will fit into a port that originally carried an 80 conductor cable...

If you didn't switch the cables, it's possible that your BIOS settings were wiped out (Since apparently you RAM settings were screwed up too), so perhaps you can go into BIOS and change the settings from ATAPI to IDE/ATA....  I'm really not too sure about this, since I don't know what BIOS you use, but I think it's worth a try...

Tell me if it works!