Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to find my URL for one of my sites  (Read 23627 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Trying to find my URL for one of my sites
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
Trying to find out what my url is for my bellsouth page. Could someone please tell me what shows up if you go here http://att.my.yahoo.com/
Thanks,
Amy

Salmon Trout

Re: Trying to find my URL for one of my sites
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
I see this

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
I guess this isn't my url then. I keep having so much trouble on some places determining what my url is. On places like myspace, geocities, angelfire, tripod, seems to be pretty easy on determining what my url is. But some places seem a bit more confusing. Facebook was one of them. Also, same on my bellsouth account. Here is where I go to login and edit things on my bellsouth one if that will help at all https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=my&.done=http://att.my.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.partner=sbc

Also, here is a picture too of what is suppose to come up. Maybe that will also help.

Thanks,
Amy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:54:08 PM by AmyR7 »

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:45:09 PM »
It's the same thing, just a different theme.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
It's the same thing, just a different theme.

Everybody's AT&T myYahoo page has the same url - namely, http://att.my.yahoo.com/ You have to sign in. The screen dump I took is the generic non-signed-in page. The page that Amy captured is the one she (only) sees after signing in.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
So, then which do I give people so they can view my website? Is all I'm trying to find out.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
So, then which do I give people so they can view my website? Is all I'm trying to find out.

Give them your sign in name and password I guess... Your myYahoo is your personalized Yahoo! pages. Where you can gather together stuff you like, in one place. It's not your "website".

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
But then they would be able to hack my account and view stuff I don't want them to view and they will be able to get into my email and all that too. Sorry, but I thought that was my website. I guess I've misunderstood what a website is all these years. I thought we are suppose to give them the url so they can view what we created. We upload our pictures, and so many other files to the site.
I login and I edit the pages, add content, edit the content.
Here is what I'm talking about, on myspace here is my url for that, http://www.myspace.com/jttandryanfan
Pages I've created on Geocities- http://www.geocities.com/jttfan20/

Also, maybe someone can explain to me, why when you go here https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=my&.done=http://att.my.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.partner=sbc
Why does it say on the page there, build your own home page is one of the things it says there? If that is not my website, then why does it say this? That's what makes all this stuff really confusing at times.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:23:59 PM by AmyR7 »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
Give them your sign in name and password I guess...
That was bad advice.  You can safely ignore it.

Your myYahoo is your personalized Yahoo! pages. Where you can gather together stuff you like, in one place. It's not your "website".
Right, it's not her website, in the true sense of what it means to have a website. It's just free web space where Yahoo allows her to throw in some personal content.  Anybody with a Yahoo account could do the same.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
But then why does it say right here on this page, could someone please explain this to me, why does it say, build your own home page?
I do not understand this. We are paying for the account too.
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.partner=sbc&.last=&.src=my&.done=http%3a//att.my.yahoo.com

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »
OK, so you have a premium Yahoo account, right?  Therefore, you have some features that are not available with free Yahoo accounts.  But, obviously, you would not give your username and password to other people.  You don't want them to be able to change your "website", do you?

Have you ever actually registered a domain name with a domain name registrar, so that you could have, for example, www.amy.com, not something you create under someone else's URL such as att.my.yahoo.com/ ?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
See, I don't even know if everything was done correctly. My nephew and his dad who got everything setup for us when we switched from Earthlink dialup, to Bellsouth DSL. Did the wiring all through the attic, and everything the modem and router are hooked to my computer and goes out to my mom's. We did run into problems though and had to call a repairman to help the rest of the way because everything everyone told us to do wasn't the problems and it turned out to be not even anything wrong with any of our computers, the router or modem. It was these hooks in the wall not holding together right.
Here is what it says when I go here https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.partner=sbc&.last=&.src=my&.done=http%3a//att.my.yahoo.com
To access AT&T Yahoo!...

I type in my email address and then my password. Then it takes me to the page and I can do anything I want there. Checking my email/webmail is one of the things on the page I do.
My mom has her own account too.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
This question remains unanswered:
Have you ever actually registered a domain name with a domain name registrar,

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »
Yes, my nephew and his dad did everything when setting all this up.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
What is the domain name that was registered via a registrar?  What registrar was it?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
bellsouth/at&t

soybean

Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
What is the domain name that was registered via a registrar? 

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
I guess it's bellsouth.net
since what comes after the @ in our email address is bellsouth.net
and before the @ I put in my username I picked.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
I'm not sure how many websites exist now but How Many Websites are there on the Internet? says over 182 million. 

Now, surely you know that the majority of all websites do not use a URL with att.yahoo.etc in it.  They have their own, unique domain names.  How do you think computerhope.com got it's URL?  Is it attached to some other domain, such as att.yahoo.etc?  No, it's only preceded by www.  So, it's a URL in the standard format of a website with it's own domain name, and this means it was registered with a domain name registrar. 

So, once again:

Have you ever actually registered a domain name with a domain name registrar, so that you could have, for example, www.amy.com, not something you create under someone else's URL such as att.my.yahoo.com/ ?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »
This makes it even more confusing. The url for my myspace site which I'm not paying for does have www in the address.
http://www.myspace.com/jttandryanfan

I'm trying to explain, yes my nephew and his dad set everything up for us when we switched from Earthlink dialup internet to Bellsouth DSL. It transferred all our things over to Bellsouth.  Bellsouth sent us the modem, router,  all that stuff. We have an IP address we had to enter in, all that stuff configure the server and everything, ftp, everything was setup. Yes, we registered when we called and signed up, we registered our user id's and passwords. We can also use outlook express to send and recieve emails too.
I'm sorry, I don't know how else to answer the questions. I'm trying as best as I know how. I also see and read that the reason people are leaving out things like www in the urls is so you don't have to type all that in when you go to a website.
For example, another site I use Webkinz which isn't free I can type in just Webkinz in the address bar, or www.webkinz.com and then login with username and password.
I've taken so many classes over the years in computer, my dad was a computer programmer too so that is how we got all setup with things. We learned about static and dynamic sites, everything in classes I've taken. Of course I know I don't remember every little details, I always have to go back over things again all through my whole life due to so many learning disabilities I have, and other health problems getting worse lately too and making everything in life really confusing to me. I've had to relearn so many things over the past year due to getting sick with Hep A, and still having a bit of problems from it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 12:17:20 AM »
That was bad advice.  You can safely ignore it.
Right, it's not her website, in the true sense of what it means to have a website. It's just free web space where Yahoo allows her to throw in some personal content.  Anybody with a Yahoo account could do the same.

I didn't seriously intend for that to be taken as "advice"; it was a direct answer to the question "So, then which do I give people so they can view my website? Is all I'm trying to find out." Maybe I should have added "Of course you don't want to do this, because your "myYahoo!" pages are personal to you, not a public web site."

Coincidentally my own son (who is 31 too!) asked me how he could let his friends see his iGoogle home page that he had spent so much time crafting, and we came to the same conclusion, that it just isn't possible without them logging in as him, because a personalized home page is just that, personal to each user.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:56:59 AM by Salmon Trout »

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:36:16 AM »
This is hopeless.

This makes it even more confusing. The url for my myspace site which I'm not paying for does have www in the address.
http://www.myspace.com/jttandryanfan
"www" has nothing to do with the domain name. www is actually considered a subdomain of the root domain, but never mind that for now. MySpace own that site, not you. They're just letting you have one page on it. You never actually registered your own domain - myspace.com, computerhope.com, facebook.com, webkinz.com are all domain names. You haven't got your own one.

we came to the same conclusion, that it just isn't possible without them logging in as him, because a personalized home page is just that, personal to each user.
That is exactly it. Amy, it's your page, and your page only. You can't let anyone else see it unless they're sitting beside you at the computer.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »
That is exactly it. Amy, it's your page, and your page only. You can't let anyone else see it unless they're sitting beside you at the computer.
kpac, are you absolutely sure about this?  I do not believe she would have to give someone her username and password just to view a page she has created.  Think about it.  Why have a web page that others can't view in normal way, by simply pointing their browser to a URL? 

I've used Yahoo GeoCities in the past for a personal web project.  To upload pages or edit pages online via the GeoCities control panel, I, of course, had to logon with my username and password. But, to allow someone else to view the pages, all I needed to do was give them the URL; I did not need to give them my username and password. 

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:22:36 AM »
I've used Yahoo GeoCities in the past for a personal web project.
I don't think she means Geocities.

I think she means this page, http://att.my.yahoo.com/, the way you can personalize it the way you want.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »
I don't think she means Geocities.

I think she means this page, http://att.my.yahoo.com/, the way you can personalize it the way you want.
Even so, I doubt she has to give someone her username and password to view what she has created.  I believe many AT&T users have an email address which would be accessible via the same logon.  So, sharing username and password is a no-no.  And, surely, that's not necessary to share a personal web page she has created.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
surely, that's not necessary to share a personal web page she has created.

It's not a personal web page; it's a personalized home page, which is quite different.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »
It's not a personal web page; it's a personalized home page, which is quite different.

We're talking about myspace.com, right? I just created a MySpace account but I'm not familiar with it yet.  Where would I go on the site to create a personalized home page?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »
Thank you everyone for trying to help with this.
I guess if I have to I'll pay again to get a website.
Seems to work like Geocities, Angelfire, etc.. where you sign in and upload your stuff. Same as on my sister and brother-in-law's website I was working on for them too before having to quit www.astresurfacing.com
Here is what should help explain why it's made me so confused here, it's the same as this on Angelfire-
"Or get more with an Angelfire Elements subscription, starting at just $4.95/Month:
* No Ads & More Space
* Domain Name, POP/IMAP Email & Webmail toolsChoose a Plan"

Which I already have all that with Bellsouth.
Also, if I go to the tutorials and glossary they provide, here is some stuff that should explain why it is all confusing me.
"
# Domain: a set of Internet addresses, such as for a web site or email. On the Web, a domain is the part after "www." such as "my-domain.com".
# Email domain: a set of Internet addresses, such as for a web site or email. In email addresses, a domain is the part after the "@", such as "my-domain.com".
# Extension: a file name suffix of the form .xxx, which indicates the file’s format so that users and applications can quickly recognize the type of file.
# Feed: an XML file used to deliver documents or other content using RSS.
# File transfer: the ability to send and receive files between computers.
# Image: a picture that someone has stored in an electronic form, such as files with .JPG, .BMP, or .GIF formats (among many others).
# Java applet: a program written in the Java programming language that can be included in an HTML page. When you view a page that contains an applet, the applet’s code is transferred to your system and executed by the browser.
# Upload: to transfer a file from your computer to a remote computer.
# URL: Universal Resource Locator; specifies the location of a file or web page, such as http://att.yahoo.com.
"

Another thing that seems confusing, is I read things like this too about Homepages.
"Place a link to FunTrivia on your homepage, your blog, your work intranet, your myspace page, internet newsgroups, forums and anywhere else you can think of!"

Funtrivia is another site I have an account on and same as the other places out there you can pay too and get extra things and the ads off.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »
Soybean- just noticed your post.
Thought I'd try and help. Have you logged in yet? After doing that, I just go over to things like edit profile and then under there you can also click on customize profile and use one of those themes, or sometimes I just go type in a search for myspace layouts and use just any generator and create it and paste the code it gives and it tells you where to paste it.
I still find it weird why they give us so much as they do give us to do for free. But I guess I wont complain since it's free. Like adding the music to our pages seems a bit weird why they let us do stuff like that. But then I guess they feel it helps promote the artists music somehow since they figure we give all our friends the url for our pages so then they see the music you enjoy.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »

I think I get the gist of creating your unique MySpace URL, and sharing it does NOT require giving anyone your username and password.  Near the top of the initial myspace page, after logging on, I see a link for "Pick your MySpace URL!"  If I click it, the next page allows me to create my unique MySpace URL.  On that page, it says, "Think of your MySpace URL as your "address on the Internet" -- You can give your URL to anyone so they can find you on MySpace."  I did not go through with that procedure yet but I think it's pretty clear that, once this URL this unique MySpace URL created, it can be shared my merely telling other people about it.  Giving out username and password is not required.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »
I think I get the gist of creating your unique MySpace URL, and sharing it does NOT require giving anyone your username and password.

This is NOT myYahoo! which is what started this thread, which is only a personalized homepage.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
No, it's not myyahoo. I don't even have a yahoo account.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
No, it's not myyahoo. I don't even have a yahoo account.

Er, this is your first post in this thread

Trying to find out what my url is for my bellsouth page. Could someone please tell me what shows up if you go here http://att.my.yahoo.com/
Thanks,
Amy

That is a myYahoo! account.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
I know you all said not to give my email address out due to spammers, but I don't know how else to explain it without giving it out.
amyr2[at]bellsouth[dot]net
is my user id I sign into Bellsouth with to edit my site. If it was yahoo it would have @yhaoo.com
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:48:14 PM by kpac »

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54:06 PM »
Oh, that is because I put the wrong url in. sorry

Salmon Trout

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
Here is where I go to login and edit things on my bellsouth one if that will help at all https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=my&.done=http://att.my.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.partner=sbc

Also, here is a picture too of what is suppose to come up. Maybe that will also help.

Thanks,
Amy

Can you see the yahoo in there?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »
That is because it's powered by yahoo. There is a big difference.
It's not a yahoo account, I'm not paying yahoo, we are paying Bellsouth.

If your account has been upgraded to the att.net Powered by Yahoo home page, you should no longer sign-in here.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Can you see the yahoo in there?

Are you still trying to feed her this notion that the only way she can share her personal web space in this account is to share her username and password?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
Are you still trying to feed her this notion that the only way she can share her personal web space in this account is to share her username and password?

I never was trying to feed her that notion, as my previous post made clear.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
I'm sorry, I see that by accidentally typing in the wrong url, looks like I've caused a problem  :'(

Even if I did have a yahoo account, which I don't, people would be able to share the website with others.The reason I think that is because of on Geocities with them closing, one thing it says there "Although GeoCities is closing, Yahoo! has other great options to help you express yourself online." Then if you go here https://login.yahoo.com/?.done=http%3A%2F%2Fprofiles.yahoo.com%2F&.intl=us&.src=prf&.pd=c%3DpjYaRE2p2e7qnVyDc3WyJsc-
Which is where you would sign in if you had a yahoo account, on that page there under the Yahoo Id box there is this thing
"(e.g. free2rhyme[at]yahoo[dot]com)"

Which is what I'm trying to say, my id would be amyr2[at]yahoo[dot]com if I had a yahoo account.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:49:15 PM by kpac »

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Hi everyone,
How are you all doing?  Even though I'm never going to become a professional webpage designer, or have any jobs in my life, I still want to make sure I understand these things better since I do use the Internet all the time and do need want to understand better so I know what information is needed like when I was having problems getting my registration email from sites, our ISP kept asking me to put things in that I have no idea what all they wanted and didn't even have most of what they wanted either. They want to know things like the address of where the business is, the domain, ip address, phone numbers, and so much more. One of the places I was having problems getting my email from is www.funtrivia.com it was blocking the email from coming through. Since the owner of the site works from home, I don't have half the information they want.
I've also been doing more reading, and I found a site that I think might help explain what I was trying to explain too about our domain thing, I guess that is what you were asking about- http://www.who.is/domain_archive-net/bellsouth.net/
I did also go back again to that site here [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_registrar][/url] too that you all said to go to and so many things on there I have a questions, see, we had to put in stuff like tcp/ip settings, the port settings all that stuff, etc..  was set up when my nephew and his dad setup the router and modem when we switched from Earthlink to Bellsouth DSL  with so many other things we got with it too. Here is something it says on the site  that "Some packages of Internet services, such as web hosting, include the domain registration in the total package pricing."

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 04:19:16 AM »
One of the places I was having problems getting my email from is www.funtrivia.com it was blocking the email from coming through. Since the owner of the site works from home, I don't have half the information they want.
What do you mean "blocking your email coming through"? The owner of what site works from home? What information?

I found a site that I think might help explain what I was trying to explain too about our domain thing, I guess that is what you were asking about- http://www.who.is/domain_archive-net/bellsouth.net/
But you don't own bellsouth.net and you don't need to know the registrar or any of that, so that page is no use to you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »
when you sign up at geocities you also sign up for a yahoo ID. the only way you'd get a @yahoo.com email is if you opt to sign up for that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
What do you mean "blocking your email coming through"? The owner of what site works from home? What information?
Funtrivia. In order to finish up registration for alot of things they send email and you have to do the stuff it says in the email. My ISP is blocking the email from coming through and I have to provide all this information like originating ip address, domain, address where the business is, etc.. Since the guy works from home, alot of the information they want nobody can get that information. Which I understand, because I don't want people all over the world to know where I live.
when you sign up at geocities you also sign up for a yahoo ID. the only way you'd get a @yahoo.com email is if you opt to sign up for that.
Yes! Thank you, that helps to explain what I was trying to say about Bellsouth account. For my email it is @bellsouth.net
Same as on that page that I gave about the Domain thing, I have the same thing as them, except the thing before the @ is diffferent, but after it is the same. @bellsouth.net

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »
Hi, I'm Amy's mom and I'm trying to help her understand this.  As I also thought Bellsouth was considered our domain.
Could someone please help clear some of these things up for us? Still not understanding the Domain.
Here is something else that we are hoping you can see why we are still confused.
Amy has saved assignments, tests, etc.. from classes she has taken for references to go back to.
Some of the things the class covered in Chapter 2 was on The Internet and World Wide Web, and then some questions in the assignments and here are what they give for the answers too for a couple of questions on Domain.
Here are what the questions were and the answers
"
1. In an e-mail address, the ____ is the location where the user's account is set up.
The line there is because that was where we had to put the answer out of the choices they gave
which were
A. username
B. type
C. domain
D. service
And the Answer was C- Domain

2. Given the following e-mail address: [email protected]
What is the domain?________
What is the type?______
What is the username? ______
For the domain it said that xyz is the answer
Then the type is edu and username is tbaker
"

Also thank you very much for all the help you all are giving us on understanding this

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 12:57:39 PM »
Domain is the location where your user account is set up

Bellsouth is the domain for your bellsouth.net email address, that is where your account has been created.

Bellsouth is owned by AT&T, so AT&T has bellsouth webpage load up the AT&T stuff.

So nothing wrong with. the questions you posted

----

http://att.yahoo.com requires login information if you want your personalized home page. You must have either logged in or the person who wishes to see your customized page instead of the general noncustomized page must know the login information. There is no URL you can give to have the person see the site as is like www.google.com would do unless you have a personal domain name/webpage that goes to your att.yahoo.com page and does the login automatically...

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
First, please do not go to this http://att.my.yahoo.comaddress anymore, that was a mistake.
Still not sure if we understand everything. Here is one of the places we log in at http://my.att.net/p
Also, if you go here, this should also help explain what we are trying to explain http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21002926-BellsouthATTSE-DNS-Servers
We had to do all those settings you see in all the boxes on that page, and some of those do say dns, which we had to do those.

Also, if we don't have a domain or anything like that, why did we have to do settings for like FTP, http port 80, smtp, pop, webmail, tcp/ip, dns, and so many other things we had to do?
Plus when we go to sites where you look up domain information for example on that whois site, http://whois.net/ Things we click on like Your Ip Address, if we click on that it tells us what our IP address is.

It seems to be like other places like Geocities, Angelfire, Myspace, Facebook, where you can make sites at that you login to edit the stuff, upload the files to.
Whenever we go to other sites people have created we don't need their login information to view them. Here is Jtt's site that he created, http://www.myspace.com/jonathan_taylor_thomas