Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing Up @ Loading Personal Settings  (Read 2273 times)

firemandad

Topic Starter

Freezing Up @ Loading Personal Settings
    « on: July 22, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
    Hi All-
    I am not really sure why but my 4 year old PC is now stopping the boot up process when we get to "loading personal settings". I've tried running in safe mode and no luck there either. I purchased a recovery disc but unfortunately it makes no sense to me....since it had no instructions with it (ebay). Anyone have any suggestions? I can follow your basic instructions but if we get to the point I need to know all these technical computer commands, I need it spelled out for me as to how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Freezing Up @ Loading Personal Settings
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:41 PM »
    I assume this all happened without you making any modifications or changes to the computer or installing any new software.  If you can provide a list of installed software, particularly anti-virus and/or anti-spyware, that would be a starting point before resorting to this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

firemandad

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
      ok-I got it to boot past the point of "loading personal settings" but now no icons are coming up on the screen? I am not sure what prograns are on there except itunes, taxcut, wordpad.......probably others but i just don't know.

thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
      The point is, there is something that is causing it to run more slowly than normal.  Maybe it's time for some "house cleaning".
      Download, install and run this:
      http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run the main cleaner (check the 1st 3 IE boxes) and then run the registry cleaner more than once, until it shows nothing left to clean.