Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Restore/Reformat Results in Disk & Stop Errors  (Read 3111 times)

ItsRipley

Topic Starter

System Restore/Reformat Results in Disk & Stop Errors
    « on: July 22, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
    So, I consider myself to be pretty decent with fixing computers; that is, I can research my little *censored* off and find out whatever I need to fix the problem, often times trying multiple solutions off of forums just like this one.

However, I'm stumped.

My ex boyfriend installed Windows XP on my computer using a slave drive after a power outage corrupted some system files. A few weeks later, my computer started giving me stop error messages (more recently F4, but prior to that they were KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA type errors). Finally, everything just clonked out and it defaulted to my Gateway's restore -- which failed miserably. I had to use my XP disk to get into command prompt and reformat.

Now, if my computer lags or I hit a major CPU spike of some sort, I get a stop error message followed by a "Disk error, Press a key to Restart" screen.

Is this a failed hard drive? Or is this as a result of Windows XP being installed via a slave drive like error F4 hints at? Also, when I boot my computer I get the "Choose which OS you'd like to boot," type message -- prompting me to choose between Windows XP Home Edition and An Unrecognized Operating System located on Drive C:. It's probably worth mentioning that I had Ubuntu installed on another partition prior to my last reformat...

I haven't opened up the tower to see if maybe there's a secondary drive hooked up (I'm assuming there is some sort of restore drive... <_<) that could be causing this... is that even a possibility?

Thanks for any and all responses in advance. I'd really like to get back to playing games on this thing.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: System Restore/Reformat Results in Disk & Stop Errors
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:19 PM »
    installed Windows XP on my computer using a slave drive
    I don't think, I understand the procedure.

ItsRipley

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »
      I don't think, I understand the procedure.

The computer wouldn't boot, so he hooked up a slave drive with Windows XP on it and got all of my files off of the old drive... then formatted my old drive and re-installed Windows XP on it and copied my documents and such to it.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
      re-installed Windows XP on it
      While the hard drive still as a slave?
      If so, it won't work, because Windows installation is tied up to hardware configuration, so you can't simply move that hard drive to another computer, and expect Windows to work.