Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop dropped...now problems.  (Read 5240 times)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop dropped...now problems.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »
Try physically removing it, and then reseating it.  There is a difference.
Evil is an exact science.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
    « Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »
    Maybe I should have spelled a word backwards or something.

It really did seem funny yesterday.  Oh well, at least the voices in my head were amused.

I got a chuckle out of it. :)
    Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
      Re the "warranty" option. Bear in mind the more that you do the more reasons you create for a warranty claim to be denied. That option should be clarified before it's too late if it isn't already. Also on that topic if you purchased this "new" computer using a credit card apart from and in addition to often the credit card warranty will exceed even the manufacturers warranty and many times even extends the warranty period significantly. A consideration one should concider at the time of purchase. I have had great success when i have needed to exercises that option. truenorth

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
        « Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
        O lot of companies are actually pretty good about standing behind their products even if it isn't covered by the warranty.

For example.  I own a golf gps that had a 3 year warranty. While getting out of my golf cart after a round of golf, I dropped the gps unit on the concrete, which of course broke it. I am not sure, but I think the 3 years was up, and for sure the warranty wouldn't cover bouncing it off the concrete. I e-mailed the company (with no thoughts of the warranty) told them what I had done, and asked them if I could take it apart and fix/replace something that could get it working again. I was told to send it to them, and much to my surprise, was sent a new one 2 weeks later.

And as truenorth says, if bought with a credit card, your problems may be solved.
        Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

touch2much

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
          Well, you are probably right. I have located the receipt (not so easy, it turned out) and before I do too much more, I will contact the manufacturer to request either repair or replacement and see what happens because it looks as if I cannot get it running properly myself. But, *censored*, I hate when I can't fix stuff myself.

touch2much

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
            OK, update. I was able to return the laptop to toshiba and they fixed it (new hard drive, bios update, etc.) and they returned it to me, all free! Of course, I never said anything about dropping it. So, for the cost of a new screen, that I replaced myself right after dropping it, I again have a new laptop. I once again have faith in customer service.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 04:47:09 AM »
            Very nice!  Good to see.  I'm often the last to defend "big business" anymore, but they often get it right.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
              touch2much, Well done i always try to promote firms that do a good job with their clients and also equally point out ones that don't . It is one of the few powers that consumers have.truenorth