Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to make sure I understand what brackets they are talking about  (Read 11104 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
I know that you all have said I don't really need to worry much about the coding since I'm using the editors and not Notepad. I also know you all have said to me and others who have asked if we need to understand all this stuff to make a site and said that if we know a little of it that it can help things be easier.
Anyways, I think I understand the coding mostly, it's not that hard for me to understand. I go back over things from time to time and make sure I really understand things and remembering things. With all my learning disabilities too, I have problems with reading comprehension and vocabulary is one areas I have alot of problems in, but of course getting better over the years too. Some ways authors word things are harder to understand than others. I found this one site that seems to also not crash or freeze the computer everytime I go to it, it has quizzes you can take, and I've been getting them all right too. Anyways, there is this one little thing I'm trying to understand, and maybe someone can help me understand if I'm correct about what they mean, here is the page I'm reading http://www.createafreewebsite.net/html_tutorial/style_sheets.html
Here is what I'm not sure if I understand
First they say this,
"
Selectors take the form of the html tag without its enclosing brackets."

Then they give example-
"
Examples:

* Tag: <p> CSS: p { declaration }
    * Tag: <h2> CSS: h2 { declaration }
    * Tag: <a href> CSS: a { declaration }
"

Now, what brackets are they talking about? Are they talking about these < >
So, here is my other question. If so, then are they saying to type out the code like this p{declaration}
or do we need to put <p> type the css and then the p without the closing tag </p>
So, then is this what they are trying to say
<p> CSS:p{declaration}
or not even type the opening tag <p> at all? or are they trying to say just type the opening tag without the brackets around it? so just type a p and then the curly brackets and then the declaration
which I understand that the declaration consists of an attribute and value and that you use a colon to separate the attribute and value and you can define more than 1
attribute for the selector but you separate them with a semicolon.
Also, I think I understand too you see how they say here are some attributes that you can use. Then they list things under the attribute. Are those things that they list the values? So, like under font-family I see all the fonts that they list, so I assume those are the values? Arial, etc.. ?
Oh and one other thing, it's hard to tell whether there are suppose to be a space between the attribute and the colon?

Thanks,
Amy

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Now, what brackets are they talking about? Are they talking about these < >
Yes.

If so, then are they saying to type out the code like this p{declaration}
That's the CSS code that corresponds to the <p> tag in HTML.

For example, if this is your HTML code:
Code: [Select]
<p>This is a paragraph</p>
And then you have this CSS code:
p {
  font-family: verdana;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: 15px;
}
That will make all paragraphs use the Verdana font, the text will be bold, and it will be 15px in size.

Are those things that they list the values? So, like under font-family I see all the fonts that they list, so I assume those are the values? Arial, etc.. ?
Yes. In my example above, "verdana", "bold", and "15px" are the values. "font-family", "font-weight", and "font-size" are the properties or attributes.

it's hard to tell whether there are suppose to be a space between the attribute and the colon?
Doesn't matter, either way works.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
A couple other quick questions. I thought that we have to put these brackets <> around the words/tags. But sometimes I see things like this:
body,td,a,p,.h{font-family:arial,sans-serif}body{color:#333;margin:3px 8px 2em}img,table{border:0}#sf{width:100%}
#frame{width:564px;margin:auto 12px}#gbar{height:22px}.gbh,.gbd{border-top:1px solid #c9d7f1;font-size:1px}
.gbh{height:0;position:absolute;top:24px;width:100%}#gbi,#gbs{background:#fff;left:0;position:absolute;top:24px;visibility:hidden;z-index:1000}
#gbi{border:1px solid;border-color:#c9d7f1 #36c #36c #a2bae7;z-index:1001}#guser{padding-bottom:7px !important;text-align:right}
#gbar,#guser{font-size:13px;padding-top:1px !important}@media all{.gb1,.gb3{height:22px;margin-right:.5em;vertical-align:top}
#gbar{float:left}}.gb2{display:block;padding:.2em .5em}a.gb1,a.gb2,a.gb3{color:#00c !important}.gb2,.gb3{text-decoration:none}
a.gb2:hover{background:#36c;color:#fff !important}
Now why do they have no < > around like body and also, why does it have another body typed in the codes later on? As I thought that we were only to have one opening body tag on the whole page. so like like this is the opening body tag
<body>and then the closing body tag at the end of the document
</body>
I also thought that all the stuff we put on the page, the text/words, pictures, links to other sites or parts of the current site etc... are to be typed out between the body tags. So, like after the first opening body tag is where you put all the stuff I just mentioned that we start putting it all right after this > symbol. since that is the right bracket in the opening body
<body>So type like this
<body>start putting everything here</body>
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:52:36 AM by kpac »

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
go to below and you may get help there as well

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=69260.0

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Amy, this is CSS we're talking about. Not HTML.

BTW, fixed width problems.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Do you mean the link that Harry told me to go to is CSS and not HTML or are you saying the codes I asked about is the CSS?
Fix width problem? Where? Do you mean the #sf thing?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
Do you mean the link that Harry told me to go to is CSS and not HTML or are you saying the codes I asked about is the CSS?
The codes you were talking about is CSS.

Fix width problem? Where? When you enter a long line of code using the code tag on the forum, it stretches all the layout of the page and makes things awkward to look at.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
The thing I don't understand is why when you go to pages about HTML it seems to be using the same words like CSS does- body, p, all that stuff?
Also, I don't know if I understand what is meant to put the CSS on a different page than Html, it looks like it all is on the same page.
Is the only difference that CSS uses these brackets {} and HTML uses these < >?
Then what are we doing when we do other brackets [] and ()?

Also, just one other thing too I'm wondering. Is does the settings we have in our browser for all the fonts, can that make a difference in the way we are viewing sites?
Is there a way I can make sure I have the correct settings? If I go up to Tools and then to options, and Content, under there is where all the font settings seems to be and here is what we have-
for fonts & colors we have Default font Times New Roman and then Size 16.
Then if we click on Advanced here is what is marked-
Fonts for Western is what we have for the very top part
Then for the other sections we have for Proportional: Serif Size 16
Serif: Times New Roman
Sans-Serif: Arial
Monospace: Courier New and then Size 13
Then for minimum font size none is marked
and then there is a box at the bottom that is checked that says Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above.

Then if we click on Colors here is what we have marked
Background- White
Text- Black
Unvisited Links- Blue
Links- Purple
Then we also have checkmarks by both Use System Colors, Underline Links and a checkmark by Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
The thing I don't understand is why when you go to pages about HTML it seems to be using the same words like CSS does- body, p, all that stuff?
That's because the tags you use in CSS have to correspond to the HTML tags you have used.

Also, just one other thing too I'm wondering. Is does the settings we have in our browser for all the fonts, can that make a difference in the way we are viewing sites?
No. Sites that don't already have a font chosen will use the font that you choose.

If I were you, I wouldn't be bothered learning CSS. But if you want to, have a look here: http://www.w3schools.com/css/

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Just want to say thank everyone for all the help on explaining things to me.
Still is a few things I'm not sure if I fully understand. Yes, I've been to that w3school site(doesn't always work for me for some reason), and to other sites too. Which some of my questions, still really haven't found any answers to.

Here is what is marked when I look under:
Tools, Options, General, Web Options
Rely on CSS for font formatting under Browsers tab is marked

One thing too, the codes look like a bunch of formulas too. See I'm really good with math, science, even business type classes too. Only areas in life I've always struggled with is English classes due to vocabulary, reading comprehension problems. So, the way people word things are sometimes a little confusing to me, because I have to go and lookup the vocabulary words sometimes to try and help me understand what they are trying to say. I am getting better though with vocabulary stuff though and reading comprehension with all the practice of things I'm doing in life to try and help like doing more reading and stuff. See on the college entrance test I scored off the charts in the math section. High enough to take classes like Calculus, Trig, etc.. But have to take remedial reading stuff before even taking English classes.

One of the things I'm sort of trying to understand, is when I read stuff like this
"CSS Media types and printer friendly pages

"Surfing the web" has traditionally meant staring at a computer monitor, though things are changing, and quickly. As the web evolves, it is becoming a lot more diverse, accessible to devises even Al Gore probably couldn't have predicted. We're all familiar with printing a page for offline viewing, though the support is now in place to make webpages viewable in handhelds, projection screens, TVs, for people with disability, and more. All this is great, but it doesn't just happen on its own. Conscious effort has to be made by us, the webmaster, to add this support, and one exciting way is through CSS. In this tutorial I'll discuss media types in CSS, and more specifically, how CSS can be used to transform ordinary webpages to become printer friendly"

Well, here is what I'm trying to understand about this, if someone doesn't have these other kind of devices, how do they do coding that is for a device they don't even have? Like for example, I know that you don't put a cd into a vcr because cd's are only intended for disc drives and vcr's are for vcr tapes and you can't put a vcr tape in a disc drive.

Sorry too if I'm asking too many questions or anything. Ever since August/September of last year, I've been having to relearn so many things in my life and still even have some difficulties with things due to problems still happening from getting sick from Hep A, seems to have caused some permanent brain problems it looks like. One of the main things I'm scared about is forgetting how to do things that I really enjoy doing too, which one of those things is creating things, so websites is one of them.
Still are a few more things I'm trying to figure out the best way to word my questions so that I don't confuse anyone on what I'm trying to make sure I understand.

Can't remember if I mentioned the reason for needing things like a spellchecker. I create quizzes on a bunch of different sites. They said to please use a spellchecker is one of the things it says in the rules.
Thanks,
Amy

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Trying to make sure I understand what brackets they are talking about
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
"Surfing the web" has traditionally meant staring at a computer monitor, though things are changing, and quickly. As the web evolves, it is becoming a lot more diverse, accessible to devises even Al Gore probably couldn't have predicted. We're all familiar with printing a page for offline viewing, though the support is now in place to make webpages viewable in handhelds, projection screens, TVs, for people with disability, and more. All this is great, but it doesn't just happen on its own. Conscious effort has to be made by us, the webmaster, to add this support, and one exciting way is through CSS. In this tutorial I'll discuss media types in CSS, and more specifically, how CSS can be used to transform ordinary webpages to become printer friendly

Basically, what it is saying is:

Using CSS, the person making the web page can decide before hand what each visitor sees.

For example, if I visit a webpage on a computer, I should see all the pictures and backgrounds and everything.

But if I visit the same page on a mobile phone, I shouldn't have to download all that data, so the webmaster can specify before that when someone (like me) visits the site from a mobile phone (or any other device) they will see a site that has different styles (like no pictures or smaller area).

So the way they code for all the devices is they imagine what each device would be able to look at, and then they limit the website to only display what each device can handle.

-rock
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
accessible to devises even Al Gore probably couldn't have predicted

Al Gore had nothing to do with the introduction of the internet.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
Al Gore had nothing to do with the introduction of the internet.
thanks......for........that.......

....and now we'll go back to the topic...
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »
Basically, what it is saying is:

Using CSS, the person making the web page can decide before hand what each visitor sees.

For example, if I visit a webpage on a computer, I should see all the pictures and backgrounds and everything.

-rock
Ok, this is making me more confused now. I didn't think I was downloading anything unless I go to a site and hit a download button and then download software needed. Didn't think that by just going to a website I was downloading something.
I still don't understand what you are talking about since I don't have a mobile phone. So, CSS is for mobile phones then?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
I still don't understand what you are talking about since I don't have a mobile phone. So, CSS is for mobile phones then?
Amy, I already said that CSS is used for anything that can view the Internet. Computers, laptops, mobiles, PDAs etc.

I didn't think I was downloading anything unless I go to a site and hit a download button and then download software needed. Didn't think that by just going to a website I was downloading something.
Yes, technically visiting a Website requires you to download the HTML and the files associated with the page (scripts, CSS etc) and these files are then stored in your browser's cache. So because the files are copied from the Website to your computer, it is downloading.

However, if the browser cannot read or open the type of file (for example .exe, .scr), then you see a box open asking you if you want to open or save the file - which is what you are talking about.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Amy, I already said that CSS is used for anything that can view the Internet. Computers, laptops, mobiles, PDAs etc.
Yes, technically visiting a Website requires you to download the HTML and the files associated with the page (scripts, CSS etc) and these files are then stored in your browser's cache. So because the files are copied from the Website to your computer, it is downloading.

However, if the browser cannot read or open the type of file (for example .exe, .scr), then you see a box open asking you if you want to open or save the file - which is what you are talking about.
So, I guess that is why the repairman said not to go to sites that use Active X. Isn't Active x Javascript?

No, that isn't the box I'm talking about. The thing I'm talking about is when you go to Download software we need such as a browser- Mozilla. We go to the site and then we click on a button that says Download and we install the browser. Or when you go to other sites that have software we need like Flashplayer, etc.. You go to the site and you have to click on Download. It doesn't automatically start Downloading though. You have to actually click on the Download button.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:12:37 PM »
So, I guess that is why the repairman said not to go to sites that use Active X. Isn't Active x Javascript?
Don't know why he said that. If you go to a reputable website then it's okay to install ActiveX controls. But again, you will always be asked first before downloading and installing these. ActiveX controls are only used in Internet Explorer anyway. And no, ActiveX is not JavaScript.

You go to the site and you have to click on Download. It doesn't automatically start Downloading though. You have to actually click on the Download button.
Yes, that's what I meant (and said).

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »
Activex is not always bad. Like if you go to Microsoft website for an update and it an activex thing pops up saying it needs to be installed first or perhaps you need to have realplayer plugin ran via activeX or something.

But I think activeX is a source of the malware and such. Active X is a framework for defining reusable software components (known as controls) while Javascript is a scripting language. Not teh same.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
Here is why I Active X is Javascript. I guess I have the wrong definition.
"About Web scripts
A Web script is a type of computer code that can be used to make your Web page dynamic. For example, a Web script could be used to include a "number of visitors" counter that increments each time someone visits your Web page. Or a Web script could be used to include a countdown to a special event: "only x more days", where x decreases by 1 every day. Usually Web scripts are run by a Web browser when a Web page is opened, typically to display information produced by the script. Creating Web scripts is an advanced Office feature that requires programming knowledge. You can add Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) (Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript): A subset of the Microsoft Visual Basic programming system. Microsoft Internet Explorer version 3.0 or later, along with the other Web browsers, can read VBScript programs that are embedded in HTML pages.) or JavaScript (JavaScript: A cross-platform, World Wide Web scripting language. JavaScript code is inserted directly into an HTML page. JavaScript makes it possible to build Java programs. The script anchor represents a script written in JavaScript.) to your page in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and FrontPage.
Scripting is useful for custom Web-based solutions development. It provides a full object model for the Web browser and the objects on the current page. This makes it easy to write code that manipulates elements on the page without you knowing the details of the HTML (HTML: The standard markup language used for documents on the World Wide Web. HTML uses tags to indicate how Web browsers should display page elements such as text and graphics and how to respond to user actions.) or how the objects are implemented. You can also create script code that is specifically designed to handle events that occur on objects (such as ActiveX controls (ActiveX control: A control such as a check box or button that offers options to users or runs macros or scripts that automate a task. You can write macros for the control in Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications or scripts in Microsoft Script Editor.)) on your page.
You view and edit the HTML code, along with any script code for your Web page, using the Microsoft Script Editor (Microsoft Script Editor: Used to add text, edit HTML tags, and edit any Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) code in a data access page. You can also view your page in the Script Editor as it would appear in a Web browser.).  In the Script Editor, you can add text, edit HTML tags, and edit any Web script code. You can also view your Web page as it would appear in a Web browser and edit it in this view. For detailed information about creating scripts, see Microsoft Script Editor Help."

I'm beginning to think you all must be talking about different things than what I'm using for the Internet. I thought you had said in your last post to me that the files from the sites are being downloaded, copied. I didn't think it was copying anything unless I hit the copy or download command first. I didn't think that by just going to a website that I'm copying anything by just going to the websites. I thought I understood what copying something means. For example, tv shows, movies, etc.. we copy/record them by hitting record/copy. But you have to actually hit the copy button first. Unless of course you have it programmed in to automatically start recording at a certain time.
Wait a minute, are you talking about this- hang on, here is something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Channel

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »
Sorry for posting again so soon, but just thought I'd say, I think I finally figured something else out.
After reading this:
"I have found that even when the slices are small and optimised as best as possible there are still some issues with the loading. I would like to be able to have the site completely CSS run. As you will see with the design it revolves around a retro television with every page appearing as if it where on the TV. With slicing I have found that even if the header and most of the page doesn't change it still loads everything from scratch."
"Eventually, we would try to fit the frame around. Since it's a fixed size, a single background image will have to do, and we'll have to give it a fixed height as well. We'll also put some padding so that the content does not exceed the edges of the TV screen:"

Now, that is about tv's. So, CSS has to do with Tv's if I understand what I have read above. Now I know some computers have tv tuners, but ours doesn't. So, then it would mean that not all electronic devices use CSS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »
I'm not sure where your getting this but the information your getting is inaccurate:

You can also create script code that is specifically designed to handle events that occur on objects (such as ActiveX controls (ActiveX control: A control such as a check box or button that offers options to users or runs macros or scripts that automate a task. You can write macros for the control in Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications or scripts in Microsoft Script Editor.)) on your page.

What's being described here is a "scriptlet" and relies on an already existing ActiveX control called the "microsoft scriptlet Library". ActiveX is built on COM.

CSS is a part of web browsing. ANY device that can browse the web will include use of CSS. it's a browser feature that is defined by the W3C.

this CANNOT be stressed enough. Where did you get that quote from? Are  you aware that many people refer to their computer monitor erroneously as a TV screen?

HTML pages, CSS pages, an script files are all downloaded. (that's what "temporary Internet files" are.) the browser then loads that content locally.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
I'm not sure where your getting this but the information your getting is inaccurate:

What's being described here is a "scriptlet" and relies on an already existing ActiveX control called the "microsoft scriptlet Library". ActiveX is built on COM.

CSS is a part of web browsing. ANY device that can browse the web will include use of CSS. it's a browser feature that is defined by the W3C.

this CANNOT be stressed enough. Where did you get that quote from? Are  you aware that many people refer to their computer monitor erroneously as a TV screen?

HTML pages, CSS pages, an script files are all downloaded. (that's what "temporary Internet files" are.) the browser then loads that content locally.

I give up. So, does my mom. No wonder we are so confused, I guess all the things we have learned over the years are all wrong. This is beginning to make me even more confused. Seems the complete opposite of everything I'm reading right in front of me. I'm getting the information from software on the computer and is also in books that came with everything too.
Also, before my dad passed away, he was a computer programmer. So, is another way of the information we have on computers.

Yes, we know what Temporary Internet Files are. But we didn't think we were actually downloading anything unless we hit a copy or a download button to tell it to save the file. My mom is always telling everyone before we use her computer, one of the #1 rules is not to download anything without asking her first. Meaning don't hit any download buttons to download software or anything. I guess this is why both of our computers keep having so many problems from viruses, spyware, etc.. since we didn't think we were actually saving any files unless we tell it to first. See, we first learned about spyware when actually my computer was the one that got hit from it years ago from it with an assignment we had to do for this online computer class I had just signed up for, and required us to download and install AIM. The spyware came through with the download. We had heard about viruses, but like I said, spyware was new to us.

We are reading those pages you gave us about Active X and Com. It talks about Portable devices. Cellphones, cameras, mobile phones, pda's, laptops, all those are portable devices. Now I know some computers come with those devices built into it, but ours don't have them, plus aren't they just components, meaning not actually in the computer. It's hooked to the outside, externally. Like not in the case itself. It also talks about Cd-rom. Multimedia, yes we know what that is too. But, we use a cd player for playing cd's, which isn't using the computer to play the cd, or we have a dvd player and is all hooked up to our TV set. Of course our dvd player actually also will play cd's.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:55 PM »
your not reading bad information. just not interpreting it in context.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Yes, we know what Temporary Internet Files are. But we didn't think we were actually downloading anything unless we hit a copy or a download button to tell it to save the file. My mom is always telling everyone before we use her computer, one of the #1 rules is not to download anything without asking her first. Meaning don't hit any download buttons to download software or anything. I guess this is why both of our computers keep having so many problems from viruses, spyware, etc.. since we didn't think we were actually saving any files unless we tell it to first. See, we first learned about spyware when actually my computer was the one that got hit from it years ago from it with an assignment we had to do for this online computer class I had just signed up for, and required us to download and install AIM. The spyware came through with the download. We had heard about viruses, but like I said, spyware was new to us.
Let's start again.

The "downloading" I was talking about is Web pages - only. The Web browser automatically downloads the page and stores it in a temporary folder (hence, temporary files) - no spyware or viruses can be downloaded this way. Deleting these files is more commonly known as "clearing the cache".

When clicking on a link to download a file - like .exe, .src, .zip, .rar etc. - the box pops up asking you if you want to download the file. This will happen only for files that the browser cannot display.

Of course our dvd player actually also will play cd's.
This is the problem. It's like physics - so many different infinite paths of information available. You keep going down multiple paths at the same time and then end up getting confused. Stick with one path at a time.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
\
Let's start again.

The "downloading" I was talking about is Web pages - only. The Web browser automatically downloads the page and stores it in a temporary folder (hence, temporary files) - no spyware or viruses can be downloaded this way. Deleting these files is more commonly known as "clearing the cache".

When clicking on a link to download a file - like .exe, .src, .zip, .rar etc. - the box pops up asking you if you want to download the file. This will happen only for files that the browser cannot display.

Yes, we know what cache and temporary internet files are. Some things like this below say not to do it for certain situations.
"If you have been told to clear your cache files and do not know how to do it, please look below to find your browser and then follow the instructions about how to clear your cache files. Please note: Dial-up users SHOULD NOT attempt to clear their cache as it may create complications when trying to log back into Webkinz World."

Which maybe this is why I keep having problems getting back into my accounts after we clear things like the cache, cookies, temporary internet files. Everytime we clear those things, I can't get back into my accounts.

Also, due to just so many wrong things people have told us over the years, we try and be very cautious with anything people tell us to do before doing it. Before the Dell computers we have now, we use to have Compaq. With mine it had constant problems with saying "Operating System Not Found" everytime I boot up the computer using the button on the front of it. Anyways, this tech told us to do an Fdisk, and before doing it, we asked several times if we need to back things up before doing it. Trying to make sure we aren't going to lose anything by doing it. They said no that we wont lose anything and that we don't need to back anything up. So, she took us through the instructions over the phone, and then of course it wipes out the whole hard drive. 

If we aren't suppose to get viruses and spyware by just going to websites, then why do we keep getting hit everytime we go to the sites? We open the browser, we go to the website by typing in the url- like http://www.webkinz.com/index.html
Sorry if you don't believe us about it, but that seems to be what keeps happening to us when we go to websites, is when we are getting hit. Don't see any way to know ahead of time if it's a safe site or not. I would think college site would be safe, but I guess not since that is one of the places we got hit right after going to the site and doing the assignment I got hit.
We just seem to have bad luck with everything in life not working right. But then of course it's an electronic and all electronics are going to have problems as we seem to notice.