Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuttering sound  (Read 5568 times)

moonbeamdanser

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Stuttering sound
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
That does seem to be it, yes.

There seems to be a precedent with wireless cards having the same issue; there is actually a thread on the Linksys forums specifically for my model of card--WMP300 N.  Thus far all issues seem to have been driver related, and there haven't been any changes made to the driver with my particular card to correct the issue (although apparently for the USB version there has been--though per that thread it now dumps everything to the PCI bus instead).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
Other than fabricating say a cardboard shield covered in aluminum foil to nest between the 2 cards i'm outta ideas...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
    When disabled, the spike occurs immediately as I disable it, and then for the duration of the disable I get no spikes.  As soon as I re-enable it the spike occurs again, and then resumes it's 1-1.5 minute cycle of spiking.
      If some other process is doing 'too much', then temporarily shutting down some otherwise perfectly good task will temporarily make the defect disappear.  As posted earlier - only way to know what actually exists is to view what causing DPC.  A first tool is Task Manager.  Look for processes that are consuming too much processing time or processes that are causing other bottle necks (ie large Memory Deltas or PF Delta).  Any of these would be a reason for DPC - a data transfer bottleneck.

Bandwidth of a PCI is so large that a functioning WiFi card could not create a bottleneck.  If a driver is defective, it will not even operate.

What processes are actually causing things that would created a DPC?  Viewing Process Explorer for background task says nothing useful.  Items to view are listed in that above paragraph - using the simpler Task Manager that responds faster.  Or a more complex Process Explorer that sometimes has problems reporting this kind of problem.

I am completely befuddled why you assumed anything agressive or condescending.  I do not waste time with such nonsense. That post was 100$ technical.   Shotgunning is not something for computer repair.  Shotgunning is a mistake made in solving most any problem in life.  For example you have no reason to believe the problem is a driver until you actually see that problem listed, for example, in categories listed above using Task Manager (or a more complex Process Explorer).