Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FTP connects off network with one XP machine but not the other  (Read 2464 times)

geercom

Topic Starter

Rookie

After modifying several software settings in order to improve performance on an aging IBM Thinkpad R40 I find I cannot connect to FTP sites. It says connecting to (for example) 123.123.123.123:21, then connected to 123.123.123.123 port 21, then the next line says connection failed.

This happens when trying to connect to any FTP site from the Thinkpad. I have not modified the software settings on the other, newer XP machine (a build off eBay that works great) and it gets out and uploads and downloads files to and from FTP sites no problem.

Among the settings changed on the Thinkpad are some under services.msc, and settings that increase performance by turning off the 3D GUI stuff and going back to Classic Windows settings.

Does anyone have any ideas, familiarity with any settings people might make in an attempt to improve performance or security that could also hamper FTP like this?