Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 6 beeps at startup  (Read 15883 times)

SnackPack123

Topic Starter

Starter

6 beeps at startup
    « on: July 27, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
    I recently tried updating my AMI BIOS. During the installation, I regrettably powered off my computer. Now when I try booting up my computer, my screen is blank and my computer emits 6 beeps. I have read six beeps means a keyboard controller error. I turned off the computer unplugged the keyboard. Rebooted, and still I get 6 beeps. I will be gracious for all help

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: 6 beeps at startup
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »

SnackPack123

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:35:43 AM »
      Thanks for the link, but it doesnt really help

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
      I recently tried updating my AMI BIOS.
      Why?

How did you do it? Did you boot to a disk? Do you have the disk?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

SnackPack123

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
        I kept getting the blue crash screen, so I decided it would be best I update to a newer version. I did it by downloading it off dell.com. Then I just ran it.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »
        Welcome to the CH forums.

The blue screen was likely not associated with Bios in any way and will probably still have to be dealt with if you eventually get the Bios back into shape.

The following quote is extracted from this site.

Are there risks when updating a BIOS? Yes, but only in extreme circumstances. Your motherboard does need a properly working BIOS in order to boot the computer, and the CMOS is vulnerable for a few seconds while you are overwriting the old information with your new BIOS revision. If the power to the PC is cut, or the computer is reset during this operation, the BIOS file can become corrupted. This will essentially leave you with a dead motherboard.

Fortunately, many manufacturers are now instituting some form of BIOS recovery technology in their motherboards to protect against this type of emergency. Generally this takes the form of a second copy of the original BIOS, stored on a second CMOS chip, which can be restored in case of a disaster with the primary BIOS. Check your documentation to see if you have a feature such as this available; it is also wise when upgrading to a new motherboard to only consider purchasing boards with a backup BIOS. Also see the troubleshooting section at the end of this article for more info on this point.

I suggest you try to find out if a copy of the original Bios is available on your motherboard and if so how to make use of it..

See here for AMI beep codes.

Good luck. 
        « Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:01:22 AM by Dusty »
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

SnackPack123

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »
          Thanks for the helpful information, now would it be possible to just go out and buy a new chip?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
          It might be possible to get a new chip although that depends somewhat on the age of your motherboard and whether your cmos chip is mounted in a base or soldered to the mobo.   You'd also have to ensure that the new chip was pre-programmed to suit your mobo.  Being a Dell raises all sorts of queries.

Can you post the make/type of your mobo, might be able to dig up some more info on the WWW.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.