Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zip code appearing as a date when I do a mail merge  (Read 3209 times)

Stacy A.

Topic Starter

Zip code appearing as a date when I do a mail merge
    « on: July 29, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »
    I am using Microsoft Office 2007.  I am attempting to do a mail merge from Excel to Word.  Everything is fine except the zip code.  It is appearing as a date.  I have formatted it as text in Excel, but it didn't help.  I've tried searching for an answer, but the only problem I've come across is zeros disappearing.  The advice given in that case was to format the zip column as text in Excel, so I tried that. 

This is for a new job and I am desperate!  If I can't fix this I am going to have to enter every one by hand.  Please help!  If more information is needed, please let me know.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Zip code appearing as a date when I do a mail merge
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
    Not sure whether this will help but try formatting that column in Excel as Zip code.  If you right click on the column header and select Format Cells..., choose Special when the Format Cells dialog box appears. Zip Code is listed as a type of format under Special.

Stacy A.

Topic Starter

Re: Zip code appearing as a date when I do a mail merge
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »
      Not sure whether this will help but try formatting that column in Excel as Zip code.  If you right click on the column header and select Format Cells..., choose Special when the Format Cells dialog box appears. Zip Code is listed as a type of format under Special.
      Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, this is how the column was originally formatted.  So, that doesn't fix the problem.  It still shows up as a date.