Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Devices Randomly Stop Responding...  (Read 2379 times)

anonconmatt

USB Devices Randomly Stop Responding...
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:45:30 AM »
...without error message and while computer is idle (not sleeping or hibernating). For example, tonight I shut down all foreground programs and went elsewhere for a couple hours. I don't screensave, sleep, or hibernate the computer when it is plugged in.

There have been no reports of problems/conflicts in the device manager. The only other symptom that may or may not be related is I can no longer call up my iTunes program after I've discovered that the USB devices no longer respond. Neither can I terminate the iTunes.exe process in my TaskManager.

I can say that despite the lack of response from the iPod, Windows Explorer still recognizes it.

The computer is a little more than 2 years old.

Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
Gateway MT3705 Notebook
4GB DDR2 RAM
100 GB PATA, 4200 RPM
Intel Dual Core Pentium Processor T2060, 1 MB L2 Cache, 1.6 GHz, 533 Mhz FSB
3 USB (It appears 1 2.0 Controller and 2 1.1 Controllers. Does this mean I have only 1 true 2.0 USB port? ???), Recently Added 4-Port Hub and Using External Power Supply

Software I run in the background frequently:

Ad-Aware
Diskeeper
Postgre SQL 8.3

The USB Devices I Use:

2 iPods (I was trying to use both at once, but I limited it to 1 at a time after the problems started. One is 5th Generation or later, the other is an earlier generation i Pod.)
Logitech Trackman Wheel mouse
Belkin Razer Gamepad
Self-powered additional 4 USB port hub

I hope I have provided enough information. If there are any questions, feel free to ask.  Thanks in advance.

Matt