Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Run as Administrator Oddities  (Read 3130 times)

Lectro

Run as Administrator Oddities
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
I created a shortcut for cmd.exe - C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
to my desktop so that It would be easy for me to run it as administrator. Yesterday , needing to tweak some tcp/ip settings using netsh . I right clicked on the cmd.exe shortcut and selected run as administrator from the drop down menu. Nothing happened. I tried to run several applications as administrator from their desktop shortcuts but just as was the case for cmd.exe nothing happened. Finally I went to \System32 , right clicked on cmd.exe and selecte run as administrator from the drop down menu. This time I was prompted for approval and cmd.exe ran with administrative privileges.Standing alone this issue is quite odd considering that I changed no user access settings my self. Within an hour or so of this discovery I became aware of something else I find to be even more odd. I decided I aught to do a hijackthis scan and so launched the application and did a scan and saved it to a log. Just as the log file opened I remembered that Hijack this always prompts me to run it as administrator and this time it had not, yet the scan completed fully as if I had. This prompted me to run cmd.exe from the shortcut on my desktop and then try to run a command which would required it to be run as administrator such as ipconfig /release. The command completed successfully. This means that although I hadn't asked windows to run the application as administrator it had done so anyhow.I checked the advanced settings in the properties of the shortcut and it had not been set to run as administrator. Before this problem had occurred I had uninstalled two programs and installed another 3 within a couple hours of each other so I wonder  if there is any registry key that could affect vista user access control like this. If not registry then how might this issue have occurred and more importantly how may I do away with these changes in UAC.

Thanks for any input,
Lectro