Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I install a Case Fan?  (Read 1999 times)

Ugarte

Topic Starter

Beginner

How do I install a Case Fan?
    « on: July 30, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
    Anyone know of a good walkthrough on how to install fans in a computer?  I just bought a 120mm fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999122

For "Manual Speed Conrol" the instructions say
    - Remove the jumper and attach the speed control connector.
    - Replace the fan speed conroller to free PCI slot.

I put the speed controller in an empty PCI slot and opened up the panel in the back of the tower for access.  As far as any other connections, what the fan plugs into, what a "jumper" is, I'm totally clueless.  If you know of a good guide, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise I can take a picture of my tower later and get some answers that way.  Didn't see much information on Thermaltake's website.

Mulreay

Ugarte

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: How do I install a Case Fan?
      « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
      Nice, I'll try to run through those steps tomorrow when I take another crack at it.  I tried hooking it up without any instructions to go by and the fan is just running constantly, the manual control doesn't affect the speed.  I'll see what I can do with it when I crack open he case again.

Also, I have a question about the air flow.  My computer only had one case fan, located on the side near the top, sucking air in.  I bought two fans, as there is a spot for one on the side at the bottom, and also one in the rear a the top.  Any recommendations on which fan should do what?

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
      Heat rises.  ;)  In from the bottom out from the top.

Ugarte

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:29:36 AM »
        Like I said, the stock fan that came with the computer is on the side at the top and sucks air in, do you think this should be switched around?  Mistake on the manufacturer's part, or is that just the best way to do it when there is only one case fan?

Ugarte

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:52:48 AM »
          One more question, what is a "jumper?"  I read "Full speed when jumper is on" and "remove jumper for manual control."  I'd be happy with using the manual-control dial, how does that affect the wiring?  Not really interested in using the temperature control.

Ugarte

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »
            Figured it out myself through trial and error.  Also managed to scare the heck out of myself by putting the thermal sensor under the heatsink, and then having the computer stop in the middle of the boot sequence due to CPU temperature warning.  Hands-on approach is better than following conceited forum lackeys anyway  ;D

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
            Hands-on approach is better than following conceited forum lackeys anyway  Grin

Your refund check for the assistance offered is in the Mail...Have a Nice Day.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "