Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant get my dell laptop to connect to my new wireless router-Cisco WRT320N  (Read 2268 times)

helpme9317

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My laptop uses Windows XP.  It has Intel Proset 2200BG for detecting wireless networks.  I ran an ipconfig command on it and here is the info I got:

WINDOWS IP CONFIGURATION

Host name is listed.

Priimary DNS suffix is blank

Node Type is hybrid

IP Routing Enabled No

Wins Proxy Enabled No

ETHERNET ADAPATER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

Media State syas media disconnected

Description says Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller

Physical Address says 00-14-22-91-CF-90

ETHERNET ADAPTER WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION

Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank

Description says Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address 00-13-CE-F5-12-CE

DHCP Enabled no

IP Address 0.0.0.0

Subnet mask 0.0.0.0

Default gateway is blank

Can anyone tells me what all this means, and maybe some steps I can take to fix it?

Thank you

Mulreay

Can you be a little more specific about what is happening please.

helpme9317

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hello
      Simply put, I cannot access the internet with this laptop.  The new router I have is a dual band, broadcasting in both 2.4 and 5 ghz frequencies.

I figured out that these routers have two different connection names:  one for the 2.4 ghz and one for the 5 ghz.  The 2.4 ghz one is WPA protected.  When I got to try and logon to this one, it asks me for my password, which is an all alpha password.  however, the computer wont accept anything but numbers.

As for the 5 ghz frequency,  my computer will say "Connected to the internet", and then after a few seconds it will say, this connection has a problem.  The it says,  "Aquiring Network Address", but it never finds it.

Let me know if you need any other details.