Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IEEE 1394 Network Adapter  (Read 7934 times)

katsar

IEEE 1394 Network Adapter
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »
What is this??? It is showing under Network Connections as the lan connection. I thought this was firewire. Is there any way to get rid of this and force the computer to use a nic and ethernet to connect to the internet via a broadband modem.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IEEE 1394 Network Adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:59:31 PM »
This looks like your Ethernet Card...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

katsar

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
so do i need to use a firewire cable to connect?? When I check the status of this connection it says it is connected but there is no physical connection, no cables connected., so what is it connected to?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 09:09:48 PM »
No... You need an Ethernet port to connect to the internet... If you connect the modem with an Ethernet cord, then you need the Ethernet port... Firewire is not for that...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

katsar

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »
ok here is what i have. A toshiba laptop with a nic, a 56kmodem and for some reason an ieee 1394 network adapter. When I try to use the 56k modem I cannot connect. When I try to connect though the nic via and ethernet cable to a dynalink adsl modem, I can't connect. The ieee 1394 network adapter says it is connected but how. There are no cables connected and when I try to load a webpage nothing happens. I have never come across this before so am really stumped. I am trying to sort this out for a friend and am getting nowhere fast.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 09:26:10 PM »
That is strange... Do you have a wireless card installed in your computer? Maybe it is an internal wireless card...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

katsar

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 09:35:47 PM »
I wouldn't have a clue. When I checked the toshiba website for this model it is all in japanese, but it looked like a picture was showing a wireless aerial thingy is internal in the lid, so maybe that is what the problem is, but why would it be saying it is connected, i don't have a wireless connection here.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 09:38:12 PM »
Well, it shouldn't say connected... But it will say that it is working properly, becuase it is able to find signals... If you still haveit, have a look at your invoice for the laptop, and see if a wireless card is in the specs...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

katsar

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 09:44:39 PM »
the laptop was bought off a japanese student who bought it in japan and brought it out to New Zealand with them. If I could read japanese I might be able to get somewhere with it LOL

katsar

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »
do you think if I got hold of a wireless router and plugged it into my connection here I might have some luck. At the moment I'm ready to try anything.

katsar

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »
is there anyway to disable the wireless and just use the nic??

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 09:58:47 PM »
You can try uing a router... And yes you can disable the device... In the connections or device manager, right click on the device, and disbale it from there...

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 09:58:54 PM by flame »

katsar

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 10:01:17 PM »
ok have disabled it but it still wont recognise the nic as the one it is supposed to use

katsar

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 03:29:50 AM »
well have been into bios and nothing there to disable this. I am about to throw it against the wall and see if that will help any.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 08:06:44 AM »
I get the feeling that it will... Lets try this again... Do you have an Ethernet port i the back of your computer? Ethernet... I don't want to hear about Firewire...

[glb]Flame[/glb]