Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What type of computer do you use the most?

Laptop
4 (19%)
Desktop
16 (76.2%)
Netbook
1 (4.8%)
All Used The Same amount
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Laptop or Desktop  (Read 10070 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Laptop or Desktop
    « Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
    Not true, its too prevent the majors from knowing things  :D
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
    no, actually it increases the radio waves, and they said at MIT it was some government conspiracy to make it easier to do what ever they want to do

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
      I could see how that it would.  But you think that would be true then can you trust the people running it?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
      metal reflects electromagnetic radiation... how do you think radar works?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »
      MIT tested it though...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
      beside the point. if MIT tested mirrors and said they didn't reflect light, would you believe that?

Mulreay

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »
      At MIT they tested those and they do the opposite of what they are supposed to.

Thats what they would have you believe   :o

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »
        the greatest secret is the 100 thruth, I mean till you get the people in office there as much as a target as everyone else.

smeezekitty

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
        if you save often you won't lose much.

Heck, I've had the power go out or the system crash and force me to reboot several times, and I thought I had lost an hour or so of programming I had been doing... upon reopening the project, however, I find I lost nothing... and many times I've caught myself unconciously typing Alt+F, down arrow five times, enter to save... and when I say "often" I mean, basically everytime I stop typing.

I also never alt+tab from it without saving first.  :)
        when i am programming
        evrey ten lines i press
        ALT+F   S   <ENTER>
        so if my computer crashes at most u lose ten lines no big deal

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
        so if my computer crashes at most u lose ten lines no big deal

why would I lose any code if your computer crashes?

Alt+F,S wouldn't work for me. it only saves the active file.

Wade2462

Rookie
          « Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »
          net book and desktop

manadude2

Intermediate

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 04:18:08 AM »
            Ok, What I meant was you would lose the file you were working on IF you hadn't saved it or it became corrupted because of the power cut.

I have a Desktop and it's PSU has failed, possibly because of a power cut, and that's been out of action for a year and 4 months now, so in that respect I have lost files, I had to start from scratch when I got my laptop.

Hopefully my desktop will be in action again soon, but until then, my files are still "lost".

The battery on my Laptop is just basically a backup supply. If the power cuts out, it runs on battery power until I can safely shut it down, or it shuts itself down when battery percentage gets below 10%. My laptop is hardly ever moved or used portably but when I start using my desktop again, I might have to rethink my strategy.
            Something went wrong here...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »
            a file isn't "lost" just because you can't afford or are too lazy to replace the power supply.

Also power supplies don't get damaged from a power cut- it's usually because of a sharp spike right as the power goes out that causes damage.

Which brings me to another point- the Power supply is designed to sacrifice itself to protect the rest of the PC- including the hard drive. had your PSU not "failed" you would have lost the files, and not in the superficial "cannot access them" way.

There were way too many possibilities to list- placing the desktop HD in a enclosure, for example - that would have allowed you access to these "lost" files, so as I said it's more a matter of how important the files are and in your case they cannot be that important if your willing to wait for a new PSU rather then spend 20-30 dollars on an enclosure.

However- regarding battery I do hear that. I've never lost data from a power outage... (not very frequent here, and I'm a compulsive saver) nor have any of my disks been damaged from them... Most of the time the PC shuts off because there is a brown-out for a second or two. My laptop, of course, is unaffected, because of the reasons you mention. Although I don't really use my laptop for much.

manadude2

Intermediate

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 05:12:21 AM »
              a file isn't "lost" just because you can't afford or are too lazy to replace the power supply.

Also power supplies don't get damaged from a power cut- it's usually because of a sharp spike right as the power goes out that causes damage.

Which brings me to another point- the Power supply is designed to sacrifice itself to protect the rest of the PC- including the hard drive. had your PSU not "failed" you would have lost the files, and not in the superficial "cannot access them" way.

There were way too many possibilities to list- placing the desktop HD in a enclosure, for example - that would have allowed you access to these "lost" files, so as I said it's more a matter of how important the files are and in your case they cannot be that important if your willing to wait for a new PSU rather then spend 20-30 dollars on an enclosure.

OK, I am not too lazy to replace the PSU, and I couldn't buy a caddy or PSU because I don't have to money to. Believe me, if I did have the money, I would have bought spares and replacements long before my PSU burned out. My friend is giving me her old computer which, although full of viruses, still has interchangeable components that I can use in my desktop. So not only would I have a new PSU (If the PSU doesn't fit in my desktop's shell I can then use her desktop's shell), I would also have a RAM upgrade if the RAM sticks are DDR, I may also replace my modem card with her sound card if it has one. It's a win-win situation.
              Something went wrong here...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 05:25:13 AM »
                There is a little more too it then that.  ;)