Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard/Mouse unrecognized  (Read 2501 times)

MzAlexis

Topic Starter

Keyboard/Mouse unrecognized
    « on: August 03, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »
    I have an emachines T2682 (about 6 years old)  that was having a problem recognizing the mouse after my dog destroyed it and I got a new one, then the power supply went out, so I replaced it (today). Now, the computer powers up just fine and the lights will come on the keyboard but it will not work. I have plugged in 3 different keyboards usb & regular and a USB mouse and the pointer just sits in the middle of the screen.

I asked someone else and he suggested powering off, unplugging the keyboard/mouse and then plugging the mouse back in after it was restarted.  It did not work.
    I tried the original keyboard on a working computer (the one I'm on, which is also an emachines)...and it will not work. So I tried a keyboard that I know will work and it will light up, but not work.  The mouse (USB) will power on, but the pointer still stays in the middle of the screen. So, I restarted again to try the keyboard and now it won't even light up, but will still work on the computer I'm currently using.

I have also tried to use a USB adapter on the keyboard too. I have tried a regular mouse and used USB adapter to no avail.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Keyboard/Mouse unrecognized
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
    When your dog ate the mouse was the computer powered on and was the mouse plugged into the computer? Does the keyboard work in BIOS?

Also, never unplug or plug in a ps/2 mouse or keyboard while the computer is turned on - it can make the ports useless.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

MzAlexis

Topic Starter

Re: Keyboard/Mouse unrecognized
      « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »
      It was powered on and plugged in.  The keyboard won't work in bios.  Since I'm using a USB mouse and it won't work either, do you think the whole thing is shot?