Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up a new desktop with a previously used router  (Read 5978 times)

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

Setting up a new desktop with a previously used router
    « on: August 03, 2009, 04:25:10 AM »
    Hi, I'm new here, so hi to all! :)

I'm awaiting delivery of a new vista desktop, and I've already got a wireless network at home, thanks to a wireless asdl router from aol, which aol very kindly...... and patiently talked me through setting it up. (my present desktop is windows xp) How easy will it be to set up the router to a new desktop? Will I have to set up the whole network again, or will the router "remember" the network name & password?

I'm very grateful for any help?

Thanks,  :D

Liz31tt

Mulreay

Re: Setting up a new desktop with a previously used router
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:26:56 AM »
    Your router will always have the same WEP WAP password so when your new computer turns up switch on the wireless adaptor and search. When you find your router type in the password and bingo.
    Welcome to Computer hope  ;)

Any problems post a reply and we will help you out.  :)

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:53 AM »
      Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have a feeling I'll be asking quite a few questions here!
      I'm wondering then, is it just a case of assembling my new desktop, taking my old desktop down, including removing the router from my old xp desktop, setting up my new vista desktop in it's place, and away I go. Seems a bit too simple to me somehow! I was expecting more hassle than that! ;)

Liz

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:16:27 AM »
      When you say router do you mean the box that supplies the internet? If yes then any computer can connect to it as long as you have the password? Have you protected the router with a password WEP or WPA? When you set your new desktop up, you need to try and connect to the router and there should be no problems. Connect with an eithernet cable or use wireless.
      « Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:13:15 PM by Mulreay »

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »
      Did you get a software disk with the router?

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »
        Hi, Yea, I mean the wee box beside the desktop... has a short ariel on it and a usb cable that connects it to the desktop. I do have a p/w on our network. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to set the new desktop up myself, or would I be better to pay someone to come in and do it. No, I never got a disc it was just plug in and go
        :L

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »
        Hi, Yea, I mean the wee box beside the desktop... has a short ariel on it and a usb cable that connects it to the desktop. I do have a p/w on our network. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to set the new desktop up myself, or would I be better to pay someone to come in and do it. No, I never got a disc it was just plug in and go
        :L

You don't have to pay anyone. That's why were all here. You need some direction just ask.  ;)

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:24:38 AM »
          I'm just a bit nervous that I'll faff it all up and lose the network, my daughter would kill me!  :) she lives for the internet, spends hours talking to her mates on it!

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:50:02 AM »
          I'm just a bit nervous that I'll faff it all up and lose the network, my daughter would kill me!  :) she lives for the internet, spends hours talking to her mates on it!

Ha I understand. If you need some help walking through it then I'm here to help.  ;)

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
            Thanks for that, but as I'll have to disconnect my old desktop & router to set up my new one.... I'll have to do it all by myself, as I'll have no internet!!  ::) ::)

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
              Hi, Well, I got my new desktop, and managed to set it up without any major hassles ;D. But I have just one question, when I plugged the router into the new pc, it's just calling my network "network" not the name I gave my network when I set it up. Is this ok, or how do I get the new desktop to recognise the name I originally gave my network. I should mention the other laptops in the house are connecting to the internet no prob and they've got the name right!

Thanks  :)

Mulreay

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
              Everything is OK. When you connected to the network did you have to put in a password?

liz31tt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
                No! It was just a case of plugging it in and away it went..... no problem! I know I definitely had a password on the network before though..... :o

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
                Have you protected the router with a password WEP or WAP?

Do you mean WPA(WiFi Protected Access?)  You keep saying WAP.
                Evil is an exact science.

Mulreay

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 11:12:45 PM »
                Do you mean WPA(WiFi Protected Access?)  You keep saying WAP.

I know it's a curse!  ;)