Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating to SP3; question...  (Read 2407 times)

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
    Updating to SP3; question...
    « on: August 03, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
    Is it REALLY necessary to backup everything on my laptop before I update to SP3?
    I know there's a possibility of me losing installed applications, but is the risk extremely high of losing my documents??
    Some iTunes library huh?

Salmon Trout

Re: Updating to SP3; question...
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
    In my opinion, yes, it is necessary, or at least strongly advisable. If the service pack install fails part way through, you could be left with an unbootable system. The chances of this happening may be quite small, but unless you have some way of recovering your documents, a backup is a good idea. It is a good idea anyway, considering how vulnerable a laptop is to such things as being dropped or stolen.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
    I agree with SalmonTrout. It is always advisable that you do a backup before any major system upgrade (OS Switch, Service Pack install, etc.)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\Thomas/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/            /\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:49 AM »
    Is it REALLY necessary to backup everything on my laptop before I update to SP3?
    I know there's a possibility of me losing installed applications, but is the risk extremely high of losing my documents??

You don't need to backup any installed programs.

I would backup the contacts, email, favorites, photos, any videos and documents.  Actually saved games would be a good idea too.  The rest I wouldn't worry about.
    Evil is an exact science.