Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuttering/screen flicker  (Read 4150 times)

MastiffMom

Topic Starter

Starter

Stuttering/screen flicker
    « on: August 20, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
     I have a Dell XPS One. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, E6550 @ 2.33 GHz. 2.0 GB, 32 bit Operating System. I bought it just a little over a year ago.  worked fine for several months and then stored for about 3 months. When I plugged it back in and started using it again, I started having problems with flickering/stuttering. I don't know what else to call it. I can usually use the computer for a few minutes before it starts. It doesn't matter if I don't have anything open or not. If it starts when I'm on the internet, it's usually the URL box that starts flickering and I can't go to other pages. If I'm playing one of the games, like mahjongg, that came with the computer, I can continue playing, but the tiles will flicker. If I click on the start button, the start menu will flash up and then disappear. At first, all I could think of was to manually turn the computer off and then when I'd turn it back on, it was ok again for a few minutes. I have had some trouble getting internet screens to close when it's started to flicker, so I did the Ctrl, alt delete thing and ended my Internet Explorer with the End Task button. But now I've found that I can just do the control alt delete and hit cancel on the blue screen and then it'll work fine again for awhile. There isn't any specific length of time that it will work. It varies. Could be 5 minutes, could be an hour. Norton says I don't have any viruses or worms or anything. Any insights?
    Thanks,
    kat

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Stuttering/screen flicker
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »
    It look like video card overheating.
    When was the last time, you cleaned inside the case, checked, if all fans are working?

MastiffMom

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
      I wouldn't begin to know how to clean inside the case. An XPS one doesn't have a tower. The computer is part of the monitor... somehow. I have been told they are hard to work on. Of course, that is after I already owned one....

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »
      What model XPS?
      Can you give us your service tag number? There will be a sticker on the computer with the service tag.

It should look something like this:
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

MastiffMom

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
        Thanks for showing the pic of what to look for.
        Service tag: CRTXXD1
        Express Service Code: 27804266533
        I hope that helps.
        Thanks,
        kat