Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet explorer problems  (Read 2578 times)

mal-inger

Topic Starter

Starter

internet explorer problems
    « on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
    Does any one know why ie7 shows a 'not connected' message but I can still get MSN and email? I have stripped off the virus program and installed a new one - scans ok. Come to a blank now! Wireless router ok cheked with another pc. Connected ok on the wireless too and everything but ie7 is ok. No recent changes. Vista laptop, 13 months old. 1g ram. Nothing unusual. worked up until 2 weeks ago.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: internet explorer problems
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
    For IE does it say something like "the Webpage is unavailable because you are offline. "

Try resetting internet explorer 7 or try using Mozilla Firefox Browser

mal-inger

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »
      For IE does it say something like "the Webpage is unavailable because you are offline. "

Try resetting internet explorer 7 or try using Mozilla Firefox Browser

Thank you very much but that hasn't worked either! Any other ideas?

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
      Ok, first of all remember to fix your reply so that your own message does not get mixed into the "quote" box. People might think you just quoted someone else and didn't say anything more.

Try using Mozilla Firefox Browser to see if it has the same problem that internet explorer 7 is currently having for you.

mal-inger

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
        thanks again and sorry i messed up the reply. Both browsers have the same error message referring to a failed connection as I have tried firefox as well. The connection is apparent in every other way but the browser will not display the internet. I have tried disabling the security, re-installing new anti-virus software, checking add-ons, etc, etc. I can obviously do a clean re-install of vista and hope that works but wondered if there was a known fix or if any one else had encountered this problem.

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »
        on another thought, try going to safe mode and attempting to connect to internet again if you haven't already tested it. (need to select safe mode with networking to be sure safe mode doesn't disable your internet pending normal reboot)