Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP m9000 crashed,used recovery disk, found secondary drive relabeled as c: Help!  (Read 3912 times)

kovette

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I had a massive crash on my desk to HP m9000.  I downloaded a recovery disk only to find that a secondary hard drive had been renamed to c:.  There appears to still be a boot drive listed but does not do anything.  How can I rename the seondary drive back to e: where it belongs?  Has C: drive been damaged beyond recovery
    I am running AVG free virus protection but the e-mail scanning quit a couple days before the crask.  HELP!!!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Where did this recovery CD get DLoaded from ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kovette

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The recovery file was downloaded from NeoSmart Technologies.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Enter BIOS, and see how many drives are listed there.

kovette

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I don't know about BIOS.  The recovery disk gives me a look at the drive structure.  It shows a C drive which was my E drive and a X drive which I think was the old D drive.  Using this feature let me copy and save all on the old E drive.  I can get to the ommand level.  Is it possble to reidentify the now C drive back to its original E drive and maybe that will unover the old C drive?  I don't think the old C drive is dead brcause I can still see the old D which is now labeled X drive.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        How was this setup prior to this ? ?
        Be specific.

A crash should NOT jumble drive assignments....what have you done so far ? ?

kovette

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The computer was as sold by HP with a 300g C drive with a small partician as drive D and a secondary 300 g drive as drive E.  I had made no modifications from s delivered.  I am going to disonnect the seonary drive and see what happens.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Be specific.

kovette

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I disconnected the old C drive and nothing changed.  I still had what looked like the old partition with the boot info labeled X drive.  I then disconnected the secondary drive and the only drive found was the x drive.  Reonnected all and back to crashed state.