Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe to remove laptop battery?  (Read 2610 times)

Dairyman

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Safe to remove laptop battery?
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:30:47 AM »

My old Compaq notebook basically died last week. If I tried to start it, it would show the BSoD as soon as it got to the welcome screen and would take several restarts and a fair bit of luck before Normal mode was usable. After it was shutdown for a while, it would repeat the next time it was booted. Luckily I was able to pull all my documents from it onto a flash drive.

When I googled it, I had read that someone had fixed this by reseating the memory and/or hard drive(s). Some suggested that you literally needed to beat it with a hammer or give it some kind of shock to make the heads move (of course, I don't DARE do that, even though I wish I could  :P).

Before I try any of these suggestions, I want to remove the battery for reasons that should be obvious (electric shock). BUT! When ever I try to move the latch, it only goes halfway and then it stops there. I'm not sure if I should just give it some more muscle, or if I need to do something else.

The reason I'm asking is that I "accidently" stumbled upon a PC Pitstop video on laptop battery fires. Now I'm paranoid that if I puncture this battery, it's going to explode right in my face.

So is it safe to force it to move? I just want to be safe.

Oh... and sorry for the long post!   :) :P :o

Mulreay

Re: Safe to remove laptop battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:04 AM »
A battery is not an explosive unless you set fire to it (not a good idea). If you punctured a battery it will be.... punctured. Do not touch anything that comes out of a battery the innards can be toxic.
Why is it so hard to remove the main battery? Is it just stuck?

Dairyman

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

When I try to move the release/latch thingy, it seems to go half way. Not sure if I'm been a wuss or if it is just plain stuck. I'll try again and let you know.

EDIT: And with that, he plucked up the courage to move that latch, pull it out and all was fine again! And he smiled and said "Thank you, Computer Hope!" :D

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:01:05 AM »
Glad you sorted it  ;)

smeezekitty

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:59:31 AM »
beat it with a hammer
::)
you may have to reinstall windows

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:20:23 AM »
sounds more like a hard drive problem. Sounds like it's slow to spin up. Often a sign of drive motor issues/failure.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:55:34 AM »
    Not sure how far you goten, its not hard to figure out.  Usually there are two one that locks it there the other is the realse.  Make sure that its off before removal.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Kirbopher

Beginner

• Yes
      • The Computer Clan
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »
    yes, as long as your laptop is not conected to any powersource....oh and the vid u saw the batery was damaged but the laptop was on when it was still damaged so ya look at the battery part no. and try to look for annother batery that is the same.
    if u have any other Q's or concerns email me @ :[email protected] or my profile.
    Kirbopher. ;)
    -_-
    Remember the 6 R's to troubleshooting
    Retry, Restart, Research, Reinstall, Restore, Replace

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »
    yes, as long as your laptop is not conected to any powersource....oh and the vid u saw the batery was damaged but the laptop was on when it was still damaged so ya look at the battery part no. and try to look for annother batery that is the same.
    if u have any other Q's or concerns email me @ :[email protected] or my profile.
    Kirbopher. ;)
    -_-

Please modify your post and remove your email for your own protection. If you want to supply your email then PM the person do not make it public.