Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Low disk space  (Read 2751 times)

aa46100

Low disk space
« on: June 01, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
My laptop started saying I was low on disk space.  I started deleting programs and files, but continue to get this message.  Then windows wouldn't boot.  I tried the safe mode thing and still it would try to boot but come back with a message saying to use safe mode.  I finally went to DOS and was able to delete some programs but others wouldn;t delete.  I am not too up on DOS.

I desperately want to get into this so I can backup some files for our family tree to put on my new computer.  I was able to get it to boot once, but it wouldn't pull up "my computer" or control panel.  It does have 1.47 meg available.   ??? ???

Raptor

Re: Low disk space
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 01:55:19 PM »
I was able to get it to boot once, but it wouldn't pull up "my computer" or control panel.  It does have 1.47 meg available.

If with Meg you mean "Megabyte" then you are in desperate need of Hard Disk Drive space. Remove more programs as 1.47 Megabyte is very little space and most likely not enough for the Windows swap file to work properly.

aa46100

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 02:52:34 PM »
That is what my question is I guess.  I could get a couple of programs removed in dos but most of the others are under program files and I don't know what to type to move them.  I am sure if I could free up some space it would boot.  Another thing I can not figure is before this happened I already uninstalled a several programs and files but it didn't free any space.  It is almost like it just put the stuff somewhere else.  The recycle bin is empty.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »