Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer ActiveXControls/Data Execution Prevention  (Read 3691 times)

thenorways

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet Explorer ActiveXControls/Data Execution Prevention
    « on: August 05, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
    Please help!  When I open anything in Internet Explorer a message in a box pops up that reads:Internet Explorer - Do you want to allow software such as ActiveXControls and plug-ins to run? Yes No.  The box will not disappear unless I click on Yes or No, same box will appear even after I click yes/no maybe 3-4 times before it goes away during opening each time I use the browser.  The other problem is when I close out any program that I've opened another box pops up that reads:Data Execution Prevention-Microsoft Windows - To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program - Name:Internet Explorer Publisher:Microsoft Corporation - Data Execution Prevention helps protect........ Change Settings  Close Message.  I have gone into Internet Options Security Settings and there are many subjects pertaining to Active ControlX and Data Execution Prevention.  I would need to know exactly where to go to disable these boxes from popping up whenever I open/close using the internet and what to check or uncheck.  Thank you much!

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Internet Explorer ActiveXControls/Data Execution Prevention
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
    Are you using IE8?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

thenorways

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
      I believe so!  How can I be sure, I r clicked on IE and that didn't tell me...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »
      Help->About in IE.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

thenorways

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
        Yes, IE8

AVS004

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
          About Data Execution Prevention, Please read my thread and answer to it below

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,89009.msg598120.html#msg598120

I think I managed to stop DEP messages from coming up by printing and carefully reading the info in the link that was sent to me. I could later describe for you what exactly I had done to stop it but I think you better read it first yourself as ther's no guarrantee that the messages fromDEP will not come back

thenorways

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

When I get to the #9 question:Browse and select your application, my documents are all listed and I'm not sure what I'm to do there? + the sequence of events is not exactly how my computer is set up that your reply to fix said to follow, had to do some adjustments with that...I still need to fix my problem and I too get the IE has encountered a problem and needs to close thing (another annoyance)!!!!!  These interferences are causing me great exasperation and  mounds of extra time to do anything, I've had my computer 4 yrs and in the last 4 or so months this started happening.  Think possibly there was an update happening, or I updated and created this havoc!!!!  HELP :(

AVS004

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
              The link which was attached to the message to me by another helpful user (thanks to him :)) which you saw (the one that reads "However See HERE FIRST)  However See Here First[/u] is the one you should follow. Print that description of DEP  and read it, of course. Then Look on Page 4  where it begins with words
              "To Configure DEP to switch to the AlwaysOn policy by using the Boot.inl file, follow these steps:

Follow the steps EXACTLY as it says there EXCEPT AT THE STEP7 Replace policy_level with ALWAYSOff

This seemed to have stopped my DEP messages from coming
               :'(

But the IE  Encountred an Error and Needs to close" Messages still come on; however they are not as pesky because the browser doesn't close when they come on, I can continiue browsing. I asked this question again here on the forum but user by name Broni simply replied "How many times will I be asking same question?"
               >:( And this caused anyone to think that he actually helped me and therefore nobody pays attention to that message. It's Okay I will try to aks this question again or if you happen to get the answer, please let me know

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:14:16 PM »
              Your trying to sidestep the symptoms here- DEP doesn't just activate randomly- it's there for a reason. What your doing is akin to disabling your AV program because it keeps saying IE is infected.

This is almost always a sign of Malware, namely within a malicious IE add-on.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

thenorways

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
                BC Programmer,  Your absolutely right!  I did what AVS004 said helped him/her and after doing so could not get on line what-so-ever.  I took to the computer repair store in town and they fixed for $50 in just a few hours, tech installed Malwarebytes' anti-malware.  I'm just happy it's all over :)  I'm just curious BC Programmer why you didn't suggest what I should do to resolve?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Would I be able to fix myself if this occurs and what would this involve?  THANKS!! 

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
                For malware in the future, go here.
                Evil is an exact science.