Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I Mix SATA and IDE hardware  (Read 1944 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Can I Mix SATA and IDE hardware
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
I have an old machine that I am refurbishing.   It is about 5 years old. It has two hard drives and I want to replace the MASTER hard drive with one that is SATA driven and the SLAVE hard drive with an unused one that I have had for several year that is IDE.  I know that my motherboard has SATA/RAID ability as I have recently replaced my DVD burner with one that is SATA driven and it works fine.   QUESTION: Can I mix the two drives, and do I have to jumper them or somehow identify them as MASTER and SLAVE?   Thanks for reading this,  JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can I Mix SATA and IDE hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
QUESTION: Can I mix the two drives, and do I have to jumper them or somehow identify them as MASTER and SLAVE?

The drives will have independent controllers so there is no problem and no need to jumper master/slave.  The "ide" drive can be jumpered as Master or Slave on its controller depending on whether or not another device is connected to that controller, there is no master/slave jumpering with SATA drives.

Whichever drive contains the OS should be set in bios.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can I Mix SATA and IDE hardware
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »
I have an old machine that I am refurbishing.   It is about 5 years old. It has two hard drives and I want to replace the MASTER hard drive with one that is SATA driven and the SLAVE hard drive with an unused one that I have had for several year that is IDE.  I know that my motherboard has SATA/RAID ability as I have recently replaced my DVD burner with one that is SATA driven and it works fine.   QUESTION: Can I mix the two drives, and do I have to jumper them or somehow identify them as MASTER and SLAVE?   Thanks for reading this,  JIM

Your existing motherboard is probably only SATA I, if so then I would suggest buying a SATA II controller addon card to control the SATA drive, which I would make the root drive.  I assume that based on the age that you stated.
Evil is an exact science.