Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shuts down within seconds of powering on  (Read 3078 times)

hot dog

computer shuts down within seconds of powering on
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
Ok here's a nice one for everyone...My mom's computer is a Gateway, not sure of the Model, but it's got a Celeron Processor and 256 MB of RAM & Windows XP Home, Service Pack 3...  When I arrived in California about 5 months ago, I opened up the computer and it pretty much gave new definition to the term "cigarette computer".  It also gave new definition to what I call COB WEB computer, and dust computer.  Yes, it had old spider webs in it. :P

I took it outside, pulled almost everything out....cables, CD drive, took off the front plastic part of the case......Next I hit it with almost a whole can of compressed air. Next I put everything back together, moved the computer to a new room closer to the phone jack, because her dial-up phone chord was about 50 ft long!  Reinstalled XP  for her.....updated to serv. pack 3, added anti-virus.....bla bla bla, you get the idea...

Everything seemed fine for quite some time, until the computer began shuting down within seconds of cold booting... The PC does NOT always shut down after cold booting, only sometimes.

I tried swapping in a different power supply, no go on that... I checked the Voltage at the wall.....Ok there...  I checked the CMOS boot log, and it had reported lots of "start up keyboard errors", so I switched keyboards....I thought maybe the current keyboard is bad, but that didn't fix the problem either.

After this problem had already been present for a while, I switched the processor to a Pent. 3, just for fun.....The problem remained after the installation of the new processor so the problem was likely not the old processor....

I haven't checked the CMOS battery yet, or double checked the seating of the cables...I haven't pulled out the cmos battery yet either, I may have set something wrong in there, but I doubt it..  Maybe flashing the motherboard would do the trick.
I don't get to go to my mom's house that often, so next time I go over there I'd like to try what I haven't tried yet, plus any other suggestions... ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer shuts down within seconds of powering on
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »
Power Supply. That would be my first bet.

Might be having issues with the POWER_GOOD signal or something; in which case, even though the  PSU reaches full output the PC hasn't started yet and enough power isn't being drawn yet so the PSU shuts itself off automatically. although, most of that is pure conjecture on my part.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:13 AM »
Power_good signal crossed my mind as well, but I tried a different power supply... However, the power supply I tried makes irritating squeeling noises when in use....   probably due to the transformer or capacitors :o...so it might be lacking the power_good signal...who knows

But then again, that same power supply was plugged into two other computers recently, the those two computers didn't suffer from immediate shutdown...

I suppose I could try another power supply though, one that I know is good..

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
Try it with only 1 stick of RAM in the bank closest to the CPU.
Swap a different one in there if it does not work the first time.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »
I've resurrected this thread because I found the problem...  When I took the computer apart I didn't replace the IDE Hard drive cable correctly...   I had the jumper pin set on Master while using the second connector on the cable, instead of the first one...   Bad cable configuration  ...doh!!!

I went ahead and set the jumper to cable select and walla!  problem solved...

I could have swore I had all the cables correct......

Of course that's what they all say right?  They all say "doh"  :)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:11 PM »
Glad you got it working.
Evil is an exact science.

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:18 AM »
Glad you got it working.

thanks, me too   ;)

it drove me crazy for months..

jim.mar

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »
Why would having the jumper set on "master" while connected to the second plug be critical?   DUH from me 2.   I need too know as I am replacing my two hard drives.   One will be connected to IDE cable while the Main one (with the OS) will be SATA.  Thanks for looking again. JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
jim.mar, please start your own thread for support.
Evil is an exact science.

jim.mar

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
OKAY, sorry.  my bad.  It's just that BLOCKHEAD's statement raised a question that i wanted an answer to before i forgot.  I seem to be doing a lot of that these days.  I really appreciate the support that you fellows have given me over the years.  Keep it up,  thanks JIM

hot dog

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 03:53:14 AM »
Why would having the jumper set on "master" while connected to the second plug be critical? 

In the case of my mom's computer? I don't know.....Maybe that's why it took me so long to figure out the problem...On my own system, if I accidentally use that configuration, it simply takes a long time to  boot up.  It doesn't shut down immediately like my mom's computer....

Why my mom's computer was shutting down using that cable configuration is beyond me....all I know is that the problem is gone now..

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:09:56 AM by blockHEAD »

jim.mar

Apprentice
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Blockhead:   Thanks, maybe I'll experiment a little with that when I replace my HDD's......On secind thought maybe before i replace them.     Maybe I'll learn something.   You know, reading the threads that you guys enter is an education all by itself.   I, for one, appreciate it.   Thanks & G. B. ,   Jim