Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me please!!!! unreadable EXE files  (Read 3731 times)

jordan_masson

Help me please!!!! unreadable EXE files
« on: June 02, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »
about an hour ago...completely randomly most of the programs on my computer stopped working.  For some reason almost all of the .exe files have become unreadable.  For some reason none of these files can be opened

I can't run norton, AVG, ad-aware because they have all been effected. nor can i run the internet virus scanner panda activescan

Just about the only thing left working is Internet Explorer.(obvious since i can write this)  I can't even run msconfig.

SOMEONE HELP ME

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Help me please!!!! unreadable EXE files
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
Kind of strange... Internet Explorer works? Internet Explorer runs off of IEXPLORE.exe ... Why was that one spared? Have you been keeping up with your windows updates? Can you run a virus scan online?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »
    jordan_masson....... what O/S are you using ?

Which version of Norton are you using ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jordan_masson

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 07:24:40 PM »
    Windows is completely updated, no i can't use an on-line scanner, I'm using an updated norton 2004, and I'm running XP

thanks for helping

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »
      jordan_masson........ I'm not 100% sure if Norton 2004 will do it .....but Norton 2005 will ........and I'm pretty sure Norton 2004 will... That is use the preinstall scanner to remove any viruses .....To do this ........reboot into the bios and change the boot sequence to the first boot from the cd drive .  then save the changes and exit ...... Now place the Norton 2004 cd in the cd drive and reboot ....the scan process should start ........let it run until complete .....remove the cd from the drive ....reboot back into the bios ...and change the boot sequence to back to the way it was .

let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:14:35 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.