Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with gmail but can access Google?  (Read 3413 times)

dwwave

Topic Starter

Problem with gmail but can access Google?
    « on: August 12, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
     ???

Hi,

really puzzled and have surfed and read and decided to post (previously we had a all Mac household network, in December 08 added a HP tower and its wireless with a D-Link NIC card
    802.11gand the Macs with Airport cards 802.11b and a 802.11G D-Link router, some how
    in Mozilla Firefox (was version 3.0 on the PC then 3.50 and now 3.5.2(after c/o by users of very slow start ups of FF) When switching to google.com (that works ok) but when clicking on
    gmail get a error message that says their is a authority certificate with the same serial number
    (this started to occur after I had updated Firefox ) or is coincidental, I checked g-mail help
    under google and the same error message was in a FAQ and the solution was to open the time and date and verify the settings including daylight savings, they seemed fine, I made no changes (or should I have by a minute or so) then restarted per the FAQ solution

Using Safari as a browser I can access gmail and log in.

? I am wondering should I roll back Firefox to 3.0 it was a Kaspersky anti viris scan that listed it as a vulnerability hence I updated Firefox.

I am a novice PC tech support person any help would greatly be appreciated
    Thank You
    dwwave
     :'( :o

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problem with gmail but can access Google?
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »
    Can you post the URL to that FAQ?  I don't see what "open the time and date and verify the settings including daylight savings" has to do with this issue.

dwwave

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »
       :)
      Soybean,
      Hi and Thanks for reading my post and responding (I agree with your opinion or I misunderstood what the help FAQ's meant. I interpret it as under Mozilla Firefox Tools >options the encryption and the different types of certificates (I certainly can be way off though on my interpretation of what certificate error is)

The URL You requested is=

URL =

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=63590

(copy and paste of info from URL above)

reads= Certificate Error

Certificate errors are typically caused by an incorrect date or time in your operating system's calendar.

To set your Date and Time Properties in Windows, please follow these steps:

1. Double-click the time in your taskbar to open the Date & Time Properties menu.
         2. From the Date & Time tab, verify that the appropriate month, day, and year are selected.
         3. Click Apply to save any changes you make.
         4. From the Time Zone tab, verify that your time zone is selected. If the time zone in which you are located is not displayed, select your time zone from the drop-down menu.
         5. Verify that the box beside Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings changes is checked.
         6. Click OK.
         7. Close all your browser windows, restart your browser and try logging in again.

updated 9/19/2008

(underGoogle Help> Gmail Help>Your Account>Your Signing In> Certificate Error

(please note I can not get to the log in screen, www.google.com  I can, when click on gmail I 

error message

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.google.com <http://www.google.com> .

You have received an invalid certificate.  Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information:

Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority.  Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number.

(Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial)

Many Thanks!

dwwave

:||x :|| :'( :o :)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
      dwwave, do you always access Gmail via web browser?  Do you know it can be configured for a POP email client and can also be configured for IMAP mail?  You might try the approach explained at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=82350 for configuring Gmail as an IMAP account.

The following comment seems to indicate that setting the date and time in your computer is not the issue:
      Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority.  Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number.

Do you any other Google features that can be tied to Gmail, such as Google Calendar's reminder feature which lets you have reminders sent to your email account?