Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical Drives Won't Work  (Read 2743 times)

qaz53074

Optical Drives Won't Work
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
I read the previous post by Malibu and have tried all the suggestions therein ...

Okay, here’s the situation.  In December of 2008 I bought a custom-built pc from a very reputable dealer in Milwaukee.  The pc is configured as follows:
•   CPU:  Intel Core 2 Quad – Q8200 – 2.33 GHz
•   RAM:  4 GB – 2.33 GHz
•   2 HDs:  (1) Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3160815AS – 160 MB (as the system drive); (1) Seagate Barracuda 7200 ST3500320AS – 500 MB (as the data drive)
•   3 Optical Drives:  (2) Lite-On DH-20A4P; (1) Lite-On LH-20A1L

I use the optical drives for the following:
•   Playing DVD movies (from Netflix) using CyberLink PowerDVD;
•   Playing, ripping, burning audio CDs using Windows Media Player 11;
•   Playing several games that require the CD/DVD to be inserted during play;
•   Burning data CDs/DVDs (I am a database developer and typically send projects to my clients on optical media) using CyberLink Power2Go (I have used Nero in the past, but do not like it);
•   Burning edited video DVDs using Adobe Premiere Elements 7;
[All of the software are current versions with all updates installed.]

The blank media I have in stock is:  CD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+R LightScribe. 

I have McAfee Security Center installed and do a full scan weekly. 

Everything worked perfectly with the computer and I had been very pleased with the Lite-On drives until sometime in early July 2009.  I found a DVD/CD Lens Cleaner (SKU #21180473 / MFG #OM96804) that I had purchased from OfficeMax about two years ago and had used on my previous computer.  I had had my new computer for about six months – and admitting that my apartment is VERY dusty – I thought it might be good to use the cleaner on the optical drives.  The cleaner went through its routine without any problems or errors. 

Since using the cleaner, however, none of my optical drives worked; they would not read or recognize any media.  If any media (DVD movie, audio CD, software installation disks with executables, any type of data disk, blank media of any format) were inserted into the drive, the drive would spin, the activity LED would blink, the drive would whirr, but nothing.  I get no error messages or anything.  The drive simply does not see the media.  Windows Explorer would not show any media in the drive.  The Device Manager recognizes the drives and indicates that they are “working properly”.  Yet none of the drives would work. 

I first contacted OfficeMax, but they do not have any tech staff to advise on such problems, although they were willing to refund my money for the purchase of the cleaner (if I could find my receipt).  They referred me to the cleaner manufacturer, Falcon Security Products, but apparently their entire tech staff is on vacation until the end of August.  I then called Lite-On tech support, who were very helpful.  Unfortunately, they were unable to fix the problem.  I have also scoured the Microsoft Knowledge Base and several fix-it type BBSs, but have not found a solution to my problem. 

The following are the steps I’ve taken so far to try to fix my optical drives, none of which have completely resolved the problem: 
•   I completely re-cabled the drives;
•   I removed the drives and allowed Windows to reinstall them;
•   I downloaded and installed the current firmware from the Lite-On Web site;
•   In Device Manager under “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” one of my “Primary IDE Channel” devices was listed as using PIO transfer mode.  One of the Lite-On techs sent me a utility which corrected that problem and now all devices are shown as using DMA mode;
•   On searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I found Article ID #314060 relating to an UpperFilters/LowerFilters issue with the Registry.  I had the problem and ran the “fix”.  Since then, all three drives will now play audio CDs, but will still not recognize any other media;
•   I’ve run PC Pitstop Exterminate 2, PC Pitstop Optimize 2, and PC Tools Registry Mechanic.  Nero InfoTool recognizes all three drives and lists the specs of each.  Also, the LightScribe Control Panel lists the LH-20A1L drive as “Available”.

I am 93% certain that the cleaner disk did something to damage the drives or mess with my pc.  Since all three drives can now play audio CDs, however, I don’t think they are permanently damaged.  I am not in a position financially to simply scrap the drives and buy new ones (as suggested on another BBS) – even $50 per drive would be prohibitive at this point.  Is there anything that can be done to fix my drives? 

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Optical Drives Won't Work
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:46:10 AM »
If you want to try and clean the drives yourself, remove the drives, remove the tray's front bezel by using an unbent paper clip to eject the drive with the pin-hole. remove the 4 screws from the bottom, then remove the larger bezel by pushing the clips in to take it off, and the cover should the come off. Try using a small amount, i mean VERY small amount of nail polish remover or methylated spirits and a q-tip to wipe the lens gently, and then use the opposite end to clean it off gently, then re-apply a small amount and leave for a minute or two to evaporate.

Reassemble then return the drives to the machine.

smeezekitty

Re: Optical Drives Won't Work
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
off topic!
are you telling me you only have 660mb of harddisk? :o
that would fill in weeks
i hope u ment GB not MB