Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows boots then blue screen message  (Read 5885 times)

beef4me

Windows boots then blue screen message
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Hi all, I have absolutely no idea on laptop fixes etc, so please be patient, My bro has an IBM T43 2669 windows xp.

When machine boots up it opens in the normal way ie black screen, then it displays windows, and then this message comes up.

A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer, If it happens again follow these steps.
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, IF a driver is indentified in the STOP message, disable the driver or check with MFR for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select advanced options and then select safe mode.
Tech Info
STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF68F6A81, 0XF723A760, 0Xf723A45C)

When I get it into safe mode a message appears  (not sure if I need to go into safemode though) but says "windows xp setup cannot run under safe mode".

I am looking for all you wizards to come up trumps, Should you require any other info pls let me know, Thanks Sean
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:00:33 AM by beef4me »

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows boots then blue screen message
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:44:19 AM »
Has anything been installed recently.  The 7e Stop can have many causes from hardware drivers to dodgy software.

In the bsod is there a line which looks anything like
NAVEX15.SYS-ADDRESS EC9F4042 BASE AT EC98E00 DATE STAMP 4a491bee
???
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

beef4me

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:58:56 AM »
Hi Dusty,

Thanks for your response, He says he cant recall the last time he downloaded drivers. Is there anyway to restore it to factory defaults from F1, or clear drivers etc. We have no clue about puters. The blue screen message just keeps looping.

The only options to use is the F1, or F8, but like I said, safe mode doesnt work either. How would you update the bios??, would that help do you think. Please reply. Thanks Sean

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:52:07 AM »
From what I've read, to restore you should press F12 at boot time then select the hard-drive if restoring or the cd if installing.  But it all depends on how the machine is set up.  If it came with an XP install cd then possibly there is no restore partition so F12 will not be activated.  If F12 works then be aware that all data on the hard drive will be lost.

To access the bios use the Access IBM button.

Flashing the bios would be my very last option, get it wrong and you end up with a hi-tech doorstop.

My last post did not say that the problem was caused by a rogue driver it just mentioned the possibility.  The example I posted is from an install of a Symantec product.

Is an XP install disk available for this machine?
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

beef4me

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »
Hi Dusty,

The machine came with XP installed,  Zonelabs installed for 10 months, pressing F12 gives me

2: Legacy Floppy Drives
3: Atapi CDO: HL-DT-STCD-RW
5: IDE HDDO: HTS541040G9T00
6: PCI LAN: MBA

What should I do from there, I clicked on 5 but just brings up windows xp logo and then to the blue screen message and looping.

Sorry I cant be of more help, I have no understanding of these things.

I just noticed your BSOD bit, where do I find that???.

Thanks Sean

beef4me

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REFRESH THE MACHINE??? ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS SEAN

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:17:49 AM »
First, do not post in ALL CAPS. It is the online equivalent of yelling and it is considered very rude. Second, what do you mean "refresh the machine"? Do you mean help with the original question? If so, you should update the video driver, audio driver and (if applicable) wireless card driver. Get the correct drivers from the OEM websites, not from MS Update. Also check for a bios flash. Don't worry about the warning above regarding updating your bios - just follow the instructions that accompany the update and do not touch the system or power down during the flash. It's a perfectly safe process.

beef4me

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
Thanks Allan, As in my first question, the machine simply kicks into windows and then the blue screen message and then looping over n over. I was merely asking how to refresh the machine as in back to factory defaults, coz I cant get the machine to safemode "windows xp setup cannot run under safe mode".

Please remember I dont have clue about puters, so OEM etc doesnt mean a thing to me, and how do I do a bios flash update (told u-----monkey here lol). I can get it to the bios set up, but no clue what to do next.

Please advise Sean

PS I DIDNT REALISE THE CAPS WERE ON :-)

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. You want to go to the website of the manufacturers of your video, audio and wireless cards and download their current drivers for your cards and then install them in safe mode (from your first post its sounds as though you CAN get to safe mode - if not, we'll try something else). As for the bios flash, you need to know the type of bios you have and go to their website (or to the computer manufacturer's site) and look for an update for that bios (ie, Award, Phoenix,  etc).

By the way, what happened between the last time the system started properly and the first time it didn't (new hw, sw, virus, etc)? These things just don't happen out of the blue.

beef4me

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »
Cheers Allan, My brother thinks his son downloaded something, coz next morning it was the blue screen. So who knows. Nobody seems to own up to anything these days.

Stupid question Allan, but if I use my laptop to go to the specific websites of the cards etc, and get the drivers,  how do I get it onto the faulty laptop??. Also

I can get it to safemode screen only displaying "safe mode" in each corner then a few seconds later the windows box "windows xp setup cannot run under safe mode"

Please reply Sean
PS, T43 dscription P M 750(1.8GHz), 512MB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1024x768 LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon X300, CDRW/DVD, Intel 802.11bg wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip, Fingerprint Reader, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
Okay. If you can't even get to safe mode then you've got a problem. You'll need to do one of two things - maybe both. If something was downloaded that may have infected your system you need to boot to a bootable AV program and run a full scan from boot. If that doesn't fix things you can try a repair install (boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, installing XP on top of itself). All programs and settings will remain intact. If that doesn't work...... well, I think you can guess. But by all means run an AV scan first - if the system is infected, a repair install may not work simply because of the malware.

beef4me

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Ok Allan, of course what you have typed, makes absolute sense.................................. ....................................... .... to you lololol.

What do u mean boot to a bootable AV program??

Boot to the xp CD, He didnt get a CD with it, it came preinstalled.

AND YES I can sure guess whats next lol.

Thanks Sean

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
:) Sorry.

I'm guessing your brother has an AV utility installed. If so, it probably came with an install disk that can be booted to for situations just like this one - so an antivirus scan can be run from boot (outside of Windows). If he doesn't have an antivirus disk, you can download and create one for him (do a Google search for Hiren boot cd or Ultimate boot cd or Bitdefender or Avira or..... or just do a Google search "create bootable av disk").

You can borrow an XP CD from someone to do a repair install. It must be the same version as is installed (ie, Home or Pro) and the same service pack. Otherwise, the system probably came with a "restore cd" that will take the system back to the way it was on day one - but you'll lose all installed programs and, if a format is required, all data too.

beef4me

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »
Cheers Allan, for taking the time to deal with the proverbial thick as **** like me lol.

I will go check out the things you suggested.

Much obliged to you.

Sean  ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »
Well, you're welcome Sean - but so far all I've done is make some suggestions. Nothing is fixed yet ;)