Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speaker  (Read 5933 times)

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

Speaker
    « on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
    Ok..One of my speakers to my pc just quit working..works fine when i hook up ipod to my speaker but its the jack in my pc i think.. IT worked fine before.. Possible that i may have some dust in it or sommin to make it have a bad connection to the speakers to make it do like that?

PC: Custom Built
    AMD Sempron(tm) Processor
    3400+
    1.80ghz, 2.00gb ram

Windows xp pro 2002 service pack 3

truenorth

Guru

Re: Speaker
      « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
      jamie009, How many plugs from the speakers do you have plugged into the sound card and what are they plugged into? Try another set of speakers to see the behavior.Try plugging the speakers into the "line out "jack from the sound card and see if you can hear anything on the particular speaker that is not working. Try the speakers on another computer and see if the problem persists.truenorth

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
        alright i have 2 jacks for speakers in my pc...one jack works but only one of the speakers work..other jack..nothin at all...just plugged my speakers into my blackberry..both speakers are working...think i may need to buy a new sound card?

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
          and my jacks for the speakrs looks like its just a lil box attached to my motherboard...doesnt look like a sound card....

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »
            Well it is still a "sound card'" but it is an "on-board" as opposed to a "standalone" card. I assume that if you reverse the 2 speaker cables so as that the other which does work will then not work in the female plug that is not working. Hope that is clear. Is it possible in your advanced "volume control" that that particular outlet on the computer sound is muted?If you do buy and install a new "standalone " soundcard be sure to determine what slots that you have available and what type they are. As well uninstall any previous software associated with the old sound card before installing the new card.I do find it a bit unusual that you would have  two "speaker " output jacks. On surround sound sound cards you can have more than one but it is also usually more than 2. Are you certain that both the females that you are using are actually BOTH intended for speakers?truenorth

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »
            Did you check in the mixer to or in the player you are using to see if the pan is all the way to the right or left?

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »
              hey srry was just a line out..the other ones are mic and line in jacks...the front jack works i can hear both speakers... but it has static in em..it makes noise i think theres a bad connection inside with the wires..but the line out jack in the back...still only the right speaker works..and everything is set up for both speakers and all i checked all of that.. and so its a Onboard sound card huh. Well...Maybe i should look into getting a new one?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »
                jamie009, Please excuse me but i have a very difficult time trying to understand what you are saying in your last post.However things are making more sense now.What you have is the traditional basic options for sound in/out on your current sound card. You should be able to have proper stereo sound from only the one "speaker" output female jack on the sound card.It is not necessary to have a speaker plugged into the "speaker" outlet and another separate speaker plugged into the "line out" jack.Speakers designed for computers use a 1/8 stereo mini plug and will deliver both channels through the one "speaker" outlet location. You might want to try another computer speaker set before you go out and purchase a replacement soundcard (also remember my earlier cautions in that area).I kind of have the impression that you are able to get both speakers working (but with static) on some outlet plug that you have on "the front" of your computer. If that is true then perhaps the speakers are OK and it is the female plug on the rear that is defective.When you plug in at the front how many speaker male plugs are you plugging in and into what?Are you able to post a picture of the male speaker plug that you are currently using?truenorth

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:24 AM »
                  You cant replace on board an it maybe that the jacks needed cleaned, also I dont see how you have two speakers connected to the machine.  ???   As for the wire if you can bend it a certain way an get sound that is the only way I can think of to tell.
                  Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
                    im just using my front jacks...i found the wire and were it plugs into the board at.. o just wiggled it a lil and pressed on it and there working fine now..no static..i just think my on board jack finally went bad..its ok though..im planning on switching out mother boards and stuff anyway... When this motherboard was put it..for somereason the monitor hook up doesnt work when i plug my monitor into it...idk if its just cause i have the all in one serious graphics card and have it hooked up threw that..or what but yea...thanks any way guys.. I appreciate it.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
                      We do what we can  :D  Or more that what we do best.  You'll probably will have to reinstall your os if it be xp or maybe vista cause it looks for hardware changes.  Come back if you need more help
                      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
                        • Yes
                      • Experience: Experienced
                      « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
                      It sounds like the jack on the onboard sound is going bad. Go buy yourself a new soundcard for $10-$20 at newegg

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
                        ey..how can i find out what kind of mother board i have in my pc? just curious... and i can buy a nwe sound card even tho the one i have is like a built on to my mother board?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
                          It dont matter as long as there is an open PCI slot.  Yes, you will have to disable it in the bios however

jamie009

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »
                            oi ok..well i was thinking about just upgrading my motherboard anyway..thinking bout a getting a new one put in... i have another question..not bout speakers tho.. Like how the mother board has the jack for the monitor right..well i have a all in one graphics card that i plug my monitor into but when i plug it into the one built in my mother board..it doesnt work... and the mother board is bout brand new...well may be used i dk..but i was wandering about that....