Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer phenomenon  (Read 3008 times)

FreedomX10A

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer phenomenon
    « on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
    Ok so this might not be so much of a phenomenon though it does look more eye appealing. My problem with my computer started once I built it, it worked fine until one day it started crashing and it became unstable until it stopped booting up altogether. Naturally I sent it to the local repair shop once I couldn't figure out what the problem was. When I bought it to him I told him my problem he put the computer into his setup and booted it up and it worked totally fine. Now not only did he gave me a confused, you're an idiot look, I was confused and felt like an idiot. After my shock had passed away I thanked him for his time and proceeded to take the huge tower back home. Went to my setup and plugged it all in, pressed boot, nothing happened.

I sent the computer back and forth from his store at least twice or three times, each time it working over there and not it working over here. The problem was obviously the difference in environment all I had to do was pinpoint what was different about my house and his store. So I exchanged chords with him and attempted to copy his setup entirely even the peripherals and monitor. To no success. Then reading somewhere that when people build new computers the LED lights can cause some mishaps in computer booting and crashing, so I popped open the case, gave the LED lights a 180 degree turn and hoped for the best.

Then it happened it was working, I heard all the beautiful bells and whistles a computer makes. Overjoyed, I enjoyed it's speed and power until recently I hit the same problem again. Only this time flipping the god <censored> LED lights just did not work. Anything I tried hasn't worked, I sent it to a different repair shop this time and I'm experiencing the same situation as before, its working at that store not at my house. I plan to do some extensive reassembling as a last ditch strategy but not before consulting the ever wise internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Computer specs-
    Processor- Intel core i7 920
    GPU- ATI Radeon 4870
    PSU- Silencer 750 Watts
    HDD- 1 TB Samsung
    Memory- DDR3 3GB Patriot

Anything else you guys require let me know.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:32:59 AM by FreedomX10A »

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Computer phenomenon
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:47:24 AM »
    The problem was obviously the difference in environment all I had to do was pinpoint what was different about my house and his store. So I exchanged chords with him and attempted to copy his setup entirely even the peripherals and monitor. To no success.
    Are you plugging it in to the same wall socket at your house? If so, try a different one.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »
    and get your outlets tested...

did you do this? It's the only difference between the two environments, from what you've said.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:15:23 AM by BC_Programmer »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

FreedomX10A

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
      I've tried a bunch of different outlets in a bunch of different rooms, at this point I doubt its an outlet issue and I always verify that the outlet is working with my monitor before I plug in my PC's power chord.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
      Then reading somewhere that when people build new computers the LED lights can cause some mishaps in computer booting and crashing, so I popped open the case, gave the LED lights a 180 degree turn and hoped for the best.
      Which LED lights did you turn? Are these soldered to a circuit board or do they have 2 wires feeding them?

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
      I plan to do some extensive reassembling

I would disassemble it paying close attention to look for loose connectors, loose hardware ect.
      And look closely at the standoff spacers where the motherboard mounts. Be sure they are all correctly installed in the correct location.

EDIT: Computer specs-
      Processor- Intel core i7 920
      GPU- ATI Radeon 4870
      PSU- Silencer 750 Watts
      HDD- 1 TB Samsung
      Memory- DDR3 3GB Patriot

What motherboard do you have

FreedomX10A

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
        Which LED lights did you turn? Are these soldered to a circuit board or do they have 2 wires feeding them?
        The power switch was the LED light i turned, its 2 wires connected to the motherboard.

I have an Asus X58-UD3R motherboard, the problem is im almost certain everything is in order, it just wont turn on. Though I will begin tonight.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
        My problem with my computer started once I built it, it worked fine until one day it started crashing and it became unstable until it stopped booting up altogether

pressed boot, nothing happened.

it just wont turn on.

I'm a little confused:

So it was having problems but it was partially functional and now, when you press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. No LED lights com on, the fans don't run, no sound from the hard drive, monitor is blank?

OR

You get an LED light or some kind of sound from it somewhere?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
        Great Topic Title...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

FreedomX10A

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »
          I'm a little confused:

So it was having problems but it was partially functional and now, when you press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. No LED lights com on, the fans don't run, no sound from the hard drive, monitor is blank?

OR

You get an LED light or some kind of sound from it somewhere?

Thats right no LED lights come on, the fan's don't run, no sound from the HD, monitor is functioning but its blank because no data is being sent to it.

@Patio thanks matey, any help you could offer?

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
          Then I would check for good connection on the connector that plugs onto the backside of the power switch and check the connector at the other end of that cable where it plugs onto the motherboard. I'd also check for constant continuity on that power switch, Also check the power cables to the motherboard. And since this has become a constant no start situation, the PSU may need to be checked also.
          If you don't find anything then it's going to be beyond my diagnostic capabilitys.
          Good luck!  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
          This diagnostic method doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, when you think about it.

the PC works at the shop. it doesn't work at the home.

This practically precludes any problem with the motherboard, PSU, or any internal components, even through movement, since it's unlikely that movement would cause selective jarring that only makes the PC non-functional at home.

I have already offered my advice on this issue and it has essentially been ignored, and yet it is the only variable present.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
          This diagnostic method doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, when you think about it.

the PC works at the shop. it doesn't work at the home.

Not any more according to his last post. Looks like we are diagnosing a dead machine now. But based on the information given, I'm out of answers. At this point, when it gets beyond checking for supply power (that has been properly tested for ground faults ect) to the PSU, and current from the PSU through the power switch, it is likely a problem for which I'm not qualified to suggest further diagnostic steps.
          Good luck FreedomX10A 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »
          Oh alright- disregard my last post then :P

FreedomX10A

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:57 PM »
            Thanks for the help guys but I'm afraid my attempts to reassmble it while keeping only the bare minimum to see which part is defective didn't work. I'm going to figure out a way to get rid of the computer now or take it all apart and build it back up from ground zero (highly doubtful).

BC_programmer, I don't see why the outlets should be the problem as every outlet that I have tried works for everything else besides my PC. Perhaps the outlet isn't giving off the required energy though I doubt thats the case.