Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help safe mode loops, disk errors and I'm alone!  (Read 3348 times)

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Help safe mode loops, disk errors and I'm alone!
    « on: August 17, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
    I need help with a safe mode boot and I have the cd and its not loading. i posted a thread earlier and NONONE responded to it.

Pretty much i get an error whenever I tried openening in safe mode and I tried to make it go into safe mode by checking "/safemode" in boot .ini and it restarted and now I can't acess normal mode again.

I read up and found I could recover via windows XP Home Edition cd and I found my cd, I think I know how to load it and I've tried an "F12, run from disk drive" approach and it started loading. The problem is it wont get to a thing where I can start windows It says that windows is starting and It comes up with another error!

I really want help because this is not my computer and the person needs it for work and I messed it up.
    Help Please!

And I said before this is not a major problem but that is because I thought I could fix it, HELP!!!!

This isn't a major issue but I'd like to solve it fast. I could not enter safe mode and stupidly went into boot .ini and made is so the default login was safe mode. and is still cant go into safe mode, so no matter what i click to get onto to windows, it comes up with
    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on you computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check you hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
    Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart you computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8AA0528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I am on a different computer and I know that you can run a recovery program from the Windows XP disc, but I seem to have... misplaced it. I've tried everything I can think of and looked through the setup menu and other options for starting but each one tries to boot into safe mode. If there is a way to boot back normally so I can change the boot .ini without the disk, I would love to know.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help safe mode loops, disk errors and I'm alone!
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:43:10 AM »
    I'm confused... Can you still boot into safe mode?

If so use notepad to open boot.ini and remove the /SAFEMODE, save and reboot.

otherwise, you can try to edit the boot.ini from a Linux Live CD, such as Ubuntu.

Once Ubuntu boots, you can use it's text editor to open the boot.ini on the hard disk and remove the switch- then shut down, remove the disk and restart.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:57:06 AM »
      I cannot access safe mode, that is what I was trying to fix and I went to boot .ini and clicked safe mode.  I restarted and then the "normal startup" was safe mode and I still couldn't acess it, my computer would just come up with an error.  I have put in the windows cd and still it will come up with an error when I try to run it, Im stuck in a loop because safe mode wont work.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:01:53 AM »
      Without the error message we'd be just guessing...

What happened prior to this ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
        A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on you computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check you hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
        Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart you computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8AA0528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

That is the error message, and when I try to start the cd it says

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space.  If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.  Try changing video adapters.

Check with you hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85480BF, 0xF8994208, 0xF8993F08)

***            pci.sys - Address F85480BF base at F8541000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
        7B error:

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

---------------------------------

7E error:

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Courtesy MSDN

What new hardware have you installed recently ? ?

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:24:26 AM »
          I had recently installed audacity, some malware things, and adobe reader, and had a virus Windows Antivirus Pro.  I got rid of the virus and was having some problems so I got rid of the other 3 programs and uninstalled and was going to reboot into safe mode and then this started.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
          Does it boot into normal mode ? ?
          If so do that...then turn off any apps running in the tray.
          Open a command prompt and type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter...

Let it run to completion and re-boot.
          DO NOT interrupt it even if it takes awhile.

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
            I cannot boot into any mode at all, because to get to normal mode I would have to change the boot .ini again and I can't do that unless I'm in windows.  its funny you say that because this is how everything went

Got a Virus
            Got rid of the virus
            computer would randomly have an error and shut off with something to do about new hardware
            Checked safemode and it suggested to run CHKDSK
            Tried to run chkdsk and it said that it couldn't
            looked up online how to run it and it said do it in safe mode
            changed the boot .ini so it would only do safe mode and restarted
            now the "normal" boot is safe mode and the "safe mode" boot is safe mode, and neither of them work
            look up solutions and try to run the windows cd on the computer for the recovery and get the second error.

Now what I want to try, tell me if you have any thoughts on if this would work or not is to get my flash drive and download the windows files from the cd onto that.  Then see if I can start the computer using the windows files from the flash drive and bypass the internal hard drive.  Then go into the internal harddrive from windows and change the boot .ini.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »
            Boot to the windows CD...
            Choose R at the first menu...this will load the Recovery Console.
            After it loads at the command prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter...
            Remove the CD and re-boot.
            If this produces no joy-joy repeat the above excepr this time type in fixmbr and hit enter.
            Re-boot.

In future leave the bootini alone.

oamsden

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03:08 AM »
              I cannot get to the first menu, it gives me the second error right before it gets to it.  I think there is a problem with my hard drive. 

And yes the second i fix it i'm never gonna screw with the files again.