Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IDE power connector attached to fan  (Read 4184 times)

Raptor

IDE power connector attached to fan
« on: July 05, 2005, 09:28:19 AM »
Is it possible to remove a normal fan connector and replace it with an IDE power connector from an older CPU fan?

Would it still run at normal speeds or would it go too fast and damage itself and/or other components?

Also, what tools would I need to do this, assuming that it is possible?

The reason I would like to is because the case I am currently is a high tower and the hot air rises upwards very swiftly, I could reduce the heat built-up if I could utilize the fan holder present there However, normal fan connectors are too short, cables will not cut it and therefore I need to look for alternative ways of connecting fan.

merlin_2

Re: IDE power connector attached to fan
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:49:32 AM »
I would not ruin a system by putting in old parts  imhao.

For the cost of few quid??liquid cooling is the way to go.If you can afford it.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 09:50:48 AM »
If you can afford it.

:P

I can not afford it. Is switching connectors that hazardous?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:21:33 AM »
so this fan is a bigger one???5v rating? two wires on it...red/black.......does it fit on the heatsink....?you could change the case......there ones out there that come with fans in the side casing......

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 04:08:01 AM »
I wish to do the following:

Replace Q-tec case fan its normal fan connector with an IDE connector from an older Cool master (Socket 7) CPU fan. That way, can I connect the Q-tec case fan directly to the PSU and mount it in a higher position?

I am well aware that I have much choice in cooling when I buy a new case, but the case would become more expensive than the computer is worth...

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 07:47:24 AM »
If this is regular 60mm/80mm cooling fan with a 2 pin connector it can be connected to MB fan connector. You can also buy adapters that will allow using a regular 12v connector. Fans with 12v connectors are also available that can be connected directed to the a PS connector and are very cheap.If you choose to replace it anyway, make the proper connections and it will work. Looking at the IDE connector, left to right, the wires arranged as Y - B - B - R, the fans red wire goes to Y and black wire goes to the B. This will give you a 12v connection. All of my fans except the CPU fan are connected to the PS using adapters made for this purpose.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 09:06:01 AM »
Thank you, Dummy. Are these home made adaptors that you have used?

What tools would I need?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 10:20:15 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 12:55:03 PM »
I would have tried this>http://www.techspot.com/download9.html

seems to work on my pc....

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 02:50:03 PM »
I have used such software before. However, it will not help me let hot air out of the case.

How are the results for you when using that particulair piece of software, Merlin?

Since I lack the expertise when it comes to using tools and I can not seem to open the fans I will simply look into a converter plug or a fan that can be connected to the IDE power connector. I'll save the experiment for another time and another case.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »
No problems overheating with the pc 8)......overheat with posts on the forum sometimes ;D .......another tip for your pc tower is to place it on wooden blocks to improve air-flow....its the old adage.....the most hardware  placed in a pc....the more heat.......and some folks have forgotten the hard drive. also needs coolling.......
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:58:36 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 03:55:40 PM »
What kind of HDD cooler would you recommend? Anything I can improvise with an 80mm fan, a piece of flint and a paperclip?

Mac Gyver was my hero when I was young.

No, but seriously; the HDD does tend to get very hot. Would an 80mm fan blowing on top of it have a positive effect or only scatter the hot air and dust? I am certain I can could fiddle about a bit and get that to work.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
I would reverse the polarity of the fan to suck hot air out.....most fans just blow hot air around in the case

you could have flash one>http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-199-1.htm

< london lives on and will bounce back>

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:25:53 PM »
Somehow, your post was considered to contain vulgare language and blocked by XXX Block.  ;D

You can also simply turn the fan around and it will blow air out as opposed to blowing air in.. No need to change the polarity. It will blow the way the sticker is facing.

I bought a strip of plastic which contain little entrances for wires and a screw on top of them. I was told I could also make this work. I do not know how yet, but I will figure out.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »
Thats strange your reply also has vulgar language

wires and xxxxxx ;D   sorry folks not in the mood tonight to help anyone???