Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .zip file problems please help  (Read 2254 times)

Mten

.zip file problems please help
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »
Ok here's the problem. I was downloading a music file in .zip format, and I guessed somewhere I screwed up trying to open it up. Now I can not open anymore ZIP files and my computer is password pprotected and I don't have the password. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

smeezekitty

Re: .zip file problems please help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:37 AM »
sounds like a virus

ubermensch

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:50:54 AM »
    for future reference, .zip is a compressed archive that could contain anything, not a media type. (and it irks me so much when people put compressed media in a compressed archive, but oh well)

but it's strange, I wouldn't think you could get a virus simply by opening an archive unless it was exploiting a vulnerability in a certain archive handler.

haha, did this archive perhaps have a freeandlegalmusicdownload.mp3.exe file in it?

and is this a bios password or windows password that it wants?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:35:19 AM »
    Or maybe the OP has hide file extensions enabled and it was "bikini babes video.zip.exe"?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »
    If you download music from P2P software (like Kazza or Limewire ect) a .zip file will almost certainly be a virus.

I suggest going here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Post the three logs in the Computer Virus and Spyware Section, not in this topic.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:13:25 AM »
    Another trick is a Rar containing a readme.txt and a further passworded RAR where you have to go to a website (url in the readme) to get the "password". The website drops a trojan, and the password is fake, and the RAR contains dummy data.