Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shortcuts stop responding...  (Read 3419 times)

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

Shortcuts stop responding...
    « on: August 20, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
    Hi there:

I realize the good thing to do would be to post the computer specs, but I've decided not to, because I am 99.99% sure this is not a hardware or a software problem (except for the two I will mention later).

Now, quite a few months ago I installed Adobe Acrobat onto my Vista Home Premium and, as expected, a shortcut popped up in the Start Menu. Naturally I used this shortcut to access Acrobat - that is to say, I don't click all the way to Program Files just to access Acrobat.

Suddenly, after installing some perfectly legit softwares (Perfect Disk 10, Uniblue), the shortcut stops working. As in, when I click on the shortcut, the computer doesn't respond. The program's processes don't even open. I used Uniblue's Computer Optimizer, though, but I seriously doubt there are compatability issues between two widely used softwares.

So far, I realized that the shortcuts whose "Target" area I can't modify, whose "Target" area is completely nonspecific and only says the name of the program, so,

Instead of,
    "...\Microsoft Office\...Blah...\word.exe",

It would say,
    "Microsoft Word"

Incidentally, none of the Microsoft products work.

Help? Maybe?

BTW, shortcuts that ARE specific, like references directly to Fallout3.exe instead of the program, Fallout 3, do still work.

Though the shortcuts may not work, the respective programs still do open but only when the .exe is selected directly or through a user created shortcut.

Thanks in advance.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Shortcuts stop responding...
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
    You might try uninstalling the two programs.  Specifically, try uninstalling the Uniblue offering, and see how the computer acts once you do that.

Coincidence is not impossible, of course, but the fact that the computer started responding differently once these two applications were installed makes me think at least one of them is at fault.

Many people on the forum do not hold "optimization" software in high regard.  They will tell you that it can often cause more problems than it solves.

Since I have no direct experience with either application, you are welcome to see what other responses you receive before you take an action.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
      I'm no computer expert, and my computer knowledge is just basically offhand and unprofessional, but I would dare to suggest (naively) that, given the nature of the problem (and how it affects all nonspecific shortcuts, whether installed after or before either of the two problems), the problem itself is a process or a service (or a lack thereof).

So, though I will follow Aegis' advice and uninstall the software (and first undo the setting changes I have made), I think there's a service that helps the computer relate the program name to the .exe location.

With no disrespect to the real experts ;) . After all, I don't argue with my doctor.

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »
      i never trust Uniblue
      uninstall asap your problem may go away by itself

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »
        Nope, didn't work.  :(

smeezekitty

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
        click the start button
        click default programs
        click accosiate a filetype or protical with a program button
        it may take some time
        without changing any setting
        scroll the box
        and look for an entry that starts with .lnk
        now on the far right side of that entry it should say unknown application
        if it doesnt post back what it says

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
          It says "ContextMenu". Oops. Should I change it? How do I change it?

smeezekitty

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
          does it say
          .lnk Shortcut ContextMenu?
          if thats the case do you have a recent registrey backup?
          if not and you have a restore point soon before this started
          try system restore (usuly i dont sugjest it but it sounds like a registrey problem)

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »
            Uhh... no backup or restores. I made the dumb mistake of cleaning out the computer after the problem.

mattlander09

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:10 AM »
              I've set the association back to Unknown App for .lnk but the things still don't work. Meeehhhh.