Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is what I want from a computer TV tuner possible?  (Read 2642 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Is what I want from a computer TV tuner possible?
    « on: August 19, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »
    Hey,

So I've started looking into TV tuners and I thought it was going to be pretty simple. In fact, I already bought one. It just failed on multiple aspects...

I actually didn't want it for the sake of recording TV; that was going to be a "bonus feature" to try out later. What I was looking for was something to connect my VCR with RCA (and record), some of my video game consoles with RCA, and some of my video game consoles that only have RF.
    So right there are my two main questions. The tuner I bought didn't allow those RF signals or something. It had the RF port, but simply didn't work for my consoles or even my VCR's RF. So are there TV tuners that allow those kind of inputs? or do they only work for a TV antenna/ cable TV.
    The second question there is about the video game consoles in general. I recently found out about the lag aspect with many TV tuners that make playing video games essentially impossible. Quite simply I want to know if this is true of all TV tuners, and whether it would be possible to play video games through a tuner? If not, I know there are also boxes that just connect to the monitor rather than the computer. Obviously it would no longer be possible to record anything, but it would still allow me to use my monitor as a TV screen. I don't know if these would still have lag or not, though, so i'm wondering if anyone knows if these work for what I want?

Essentially I was looking for an external TV tuner with RCA and RF for recording VHS to DVD and playing video games. Does this exist?

Not only does it exist but does anyone have any suggestions on something that would work for me?
    I could go internal if needed, and I realized I could go without the RF because my second VCR allows RF to RCA (my main VCR doesn't).
    It would just be nice to have something with good quality. The other problem with the tuner I bought was that the recorded image shaked a little, and that's really undesirable when recording anything.

Anyways, Thanks in advance!

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
      Re: Is what I want from a computer TV tuner possible?
      « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
      Someone suggested to me that perhaps the lag was a result of the USB connection and suggested I should go PCI.
      This would mean I could only use it on a single desktop computer, so I was just wondering if the USB connection would be a bottle neck. Of course, I'm wondering if a PCI tuner would then solve this problem?