Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows internet explorer repeatingly popping up  (Read 3514 times)

kdtl61

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

windows internet explorer repeatingly popping up
    « on: August 25, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
    Hello,

I just received my gateway laptop back from having the main board replaced.  So, they say any ways.  Turned it on last night and the first thing I did was made sure my mcafee protection was up dated.  Cool.  All set.  Clicked on IE went right to AOL.com clicked to sign in and a different screen came up saying there were not correct certificate to log in safely.  That is not word for word. Something like that.  Then I clicked google and tried to log in there.  Again the same notice came up. Any site I tried to go into gave me that notice.  Never in two years have I had any issues or concerns about these sites.  The warning still gave me an option to open the site or mail.  So, I did and got my aol mail.  As I'm reviewing mail.  IE just keep opening these small aol screens.  Meaning it would keep relaunching it self to the internet.

So, I tried to deal with it last night.  I felt like I was chasing IE all over my screen.  When I went into task manager IE was running at like 585,000 compared to everything else running at 2000,4000 20,000  It was off the charts.  I wanted to end task so bad I could taste it.  Did not do that.  I was able to close the group and shut down.  I want to work on it tonight.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    K

BatchFileBasics

Hopeful

Re: windows internet explorer repeatingly popping up
      « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
      there is a microsoft error page on this:
      http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/064af181-10b3-49e7-9eb6-ba3f07d888031033.mspx

and does this error appear in any other browsers? firefox, safari, chrome?
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix.

kdtl61

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
        My gateway is not running any other browsers then IE.  As of last night anyways.  I had the system kept very basic.  I dont like adding anymore down loads then necessary.  I very well my just delete IE 100% and load Mozillia.  I have run for 2 years with IE.  Had other problems but nothing like this. 

What is the best spyware I should use?

I have a feeling it is all driven by a setting being changed since it just came back from the factory.  I just dont know what setting.  I'm going to look at tools and make sure pop ups are blocked.  Then look into a download to help search my system. 

I have had way too many lap top issues in the last few months. 

Thanks for your help,
        K

BatchFileBasics

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
          Download  HijackThis.exe (HJT)

* Double-click on HJTInstall.
          * Click on the Install button.
          * It will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe.
          * Upon install, HijackThis should open for you.

* From the desktop open HijackThis.
               * If using Windows Vista, Right-click and Run As Administrator.
          * Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button
          * HijackThis will scan and then a log will open in notepad.
              * Copy and Paste the entire contents of the log in your post.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix.