Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing problem  (Read 1923 times)

Aricnow

Topic Starter

Starter

Freezing problem
    « on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:05 PM »
    Hey all I am new here and boy do I have an interesting problem.  Right to the chase, I have a two year old HP S3100N Slimline.  I have a fresh install of Vista Home Premium with all the recent updates installed.  Here is my issue, I had a problem with my processor ( AMD x64 dual core 2.1ghz ) overheating (in upwards of 60*C) due to bad thermal paste. So I thought BINGO, I redo the paste and here we go again with the freezing.  It's not locking up but it will freeze for two or three seconds then go for five and so on until Monday.  On Monday it will run fine for a while then start up again but now it will freeze indefinitely until I grab my heat sink and move it either up, down, or towards me and hold it there to keep it going, if I let go it freezes again so I do it again and it then works even after I let it go.  One other thing is if I choose to restart the computer I have to turn it on and off several times while fidgeting with the heat sink to get it do even enter the bios but once it start the boot process it works fine for a while.  Now I have tested my cpu fan which is ok, tested my processor temp and voltage which is good.  I'm wondering if maybe the motherboard has issues or if there is anyone out there who has had this happen and can help me.  FYI my motherboard is an ASUS M2NC51-AR.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:47:29 PM by Aricnow »

zonatedace

Rookie

Re: Freezing problem
      « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
      sounds to me like your solder joints are broken around your cpu. when you re-applied the thermal paste what type and brand did you use?? also tell me the procedures you took to replace the thermal paste on your cpu?!

Aricnow

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »
        The first thing I did was shut down, unplug the computer, unplug the cpu fan, removed heat sink screws and took it off, I then removed the fan from the heat sink and used LPS residue free contact cleaner to clean the fan and fins, removed the cpu and cleaned all the old paste off the sink and cpu, appled a small + shaped bead of paste on the processor and reinstalled it and locked it in, I then put my fan and sink assembly onto the processor and did a small wiggle in a circular motion and started each screw in a diagnal pattern and tightened them two turns at a time in the same fasion and plugged everything back up and fired it up.  The paste I used is Antec formula 5

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
        Well it sounds like you did the technique exactly how it sholud be done...
        Time to look for bent/broken pins on the CPU...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zonatedace

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »
          ok i had to make sure you cleaned the old thermal paste off alot of people just leave it on and add more!!! anyways i would say you have broken soldier joints. what i would do is inspect the area around the cpu to see if there are any breaks. if there are then you know what to do!!! patch patch patch!!!!! also as patio says look for bent/broken pins.

Aricnow

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
            I checked the pins while the CPU was out so I guess its solder time, is it possible to solder these yourself or should I take it is somewhere? I'm very skilled in the general repair field but have never attempted a CPU socket before and don't want to make it worse but I don't want to spend a fortune either.  Any recommendations or tips be fore I attempt this?

zonatedace

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »
              well if you have never attempted to soldier before i would watch the video below of how to soldier first. if you feel you are up to it go for it! but i would recommend you get it professionally repaired! because one mishap can fault your entire mb!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Aricnow

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
                good video and thanks for the advise!  I have soldered before but just nothing this complex.  I will give it a shot, wish me luck lol and thanks!

zonatedace

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »
                  GOOD LUCK!!!  ;D