Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart  (Read 3614 times)

dvoss02

Topic Starter

NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    « on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
    Ok...Here is one more for you all that know about computers. ;D  I know it MAY be an old subject but HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( I've got that NTLDR is missing, etc. message on my computer.  I tried everything I could find and I either didn't understand HOW to fix the problem or.....it wouldn't do what it was supposed to do. :-X  Here's the deal.  I keep getting the same message over and over again.  I DO have an installation CD for Windows XP Professional.  I've installed it(actually my friend did) on a Toshiba Satellite M45-S165 Laptop. Now I can't get it to boot.  Don't know how, I guess.  Need help badly.  I am ABsoLUTely computer ILLITERATE. Yep, I'm a 'puter dummy. Can someone please give me some step by step instructions that ANY first grader could comprehend?   

smeezekitty

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »
    When you first start up the computer you will see a message that says to press a certain key to enter setup. It is usally an Fkey or esc or del. Pay attention as this message may flash very quickly. Tap that key as the computer starts op.

This will take you into BIOS. Here you want to look for Boot order or Boot sequence or maybe even just Boot.  You want to set your CD drive as the first boot device. You usually press the plus and minus keys to move your devices up and down in the boot order. Once you have your CD drive set as the first boot device you want to insert your XP disk into the CD drive.  Now exit setup and SAVE CHANGES (F10).

The computer will reboot. You may see a message that says: "Press any key to boot to CD". If you do just keep tapping a key as the computer starts. You should hear the disk start spinning in the drive and then see a blue screen with the words XP setup near the top. It will load a bunch of files and then you should see this screen:

Press R to load the recovery console. Then follow the steps from here:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »
    hey that looks identical to the windows 3.1 setup screen

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:22:54 AM »
    hey that looks identical to the windows 3.1 setup screen
    It looks identical to all Windows setup screens...  ::)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:41:21 AM »
    It looks identical to all Windows setup screens...  ::)
    Another reason why I think smeezekitty is about 11 years old.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
    Another reason why I think smeezekitty is about 11 years old.
    And you are what - 14, 15? What's the purpose of saying something like that? Why talk ABOUT people instead of TO them?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »
    And you are what - 14, 15? What's the purpose of saying something like that? Why talk ABOUT people instead of TO them?
    Ah, it's in my profile. And what point are you trying to make? I don't constantly make useless, off-topic posts do I?

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »
    I just don't see the need for making rude comments about other people. If you have a problem with one of the members of a forum you can always report him to staff or contact him or her directly via PM.

dvoss02

Topic Starter

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »
      Just wanted to say "Thanks".  I finally DID get it to boot.  Sorry everyone ALMOST got off track so far with the age thing.  Aren't we ALL hoping to stay YOUNG at heart?  .....and who cares what people SAY?  I know who and what I am and I would wish others could be as happy in THEIR skin as I am in mine.  Be nice to one another and have a great day.  I sure will! ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
      Just wanted to say "Thanks".  I finally DID get it to boot.  Sorry everyone ALMOST got off track so far with the age thing.  Aren't we ALL hoping to stay YOUNG at heart?  .....and who cares what people SAY?  I know who and what I am and I would wish others could be as happy in THEIR skin as I am in mine.  Be nice to one another and have a great day.  I sure will! ;)

Well put...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "