Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is it possible to use two nics to download  (Read 7894 times)

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
is it possible to use two nics to download
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:45:01 PM »
I was just wondering is it possible to have two seprate nics downloading from the internet on the same computer via a router effectively doubling your speed or is this just a fallicy that i have conjured up in my mind?
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: is it possible to use two nics to download
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »
    I know on Linux it can be done with software and router setting. Do not know with MS Vista.

smeezekitty

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
    not with ease
    i am sure there is software that would do it though

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
      there is a easier way to speed up downloads.  But as of useing two nics to get packets an what not???
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:43 PM »
      There was this guy making this thing that was basically raid for internet, but not sure if its out yet, and you need 2 separate internet sources, like cable and dsl.  Also, I would like to know how to do this on linux

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »
        but your suppling two differnt connections its not one.  Thus in so its not going any faster just allows for you to use a differnt one
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »
        ya i didn't think that there was any way to do it... since i have tried many different configs and settings trying to achive this
        "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

smeezekitty

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
        even if you did get it working it wouldnt be that much faster or relyable
        i would say its not worth it

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
          I'm sorry but it not possible and it would also not increase your download either

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:36 AM »
          The answer to your question is no.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »
          not with ease
          i am sure there is software that would do it though
          You just post whatever comes to mind, don't you? Does thinking ever come into play?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
            not too much with him.  Like I said there is a way to speed up downloads but no possible way to use two connections like that ibid.

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
            how can u speed up the downloads if the modem is a fixed speed. besides flashing the modem with a different profile there no real way of that i know to increase speed.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 04:18:33 AM »
              its an app that prefects some of the data.  Your not really increaseing the speed of the connection but it does do it faster cause of that.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »
              prefects?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
                sorry, prefetches

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »
                First of all, it is possible. Has anyone ever heard of a T1? A T1 is 24 phone lines bundled together to get higher transfer speeds.
                Second, did any of you actually do any research before replying to the question?
                Here is some open source software that allows you to put multiple connections together to achieve higher bandwidth. It's been around for quite some time now.
                http://www.heroinewarrior.com/firehose.php

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 10:47:38 AM »
                  no, we used pure logic here  ::) :-X :-\

wbrost

Intermediate
                    « Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
                    that will only increase the speed of the local link not the external link.

in windows you can "bridge" the connections into a single logical interface. This will not increase the "Internet" speed.

on a layer 3 switch and router you can "trunk" the ports.

Neither of these will increase the internet speed. They will increase the intranet speed however.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
                    that will only increase the speed of the local link not the external link.

in windows you can "bridge" the connections into a single logical interface. This will not increase the "Internet" speed.

on a layer 3 switch and router you can "trunk" the ports.

Neither of these will increase the internet speed. They will increase the intranet speed however.

True.... If you really wanted to take advantage of a program like firehose (which I linked earlier) you would need multiple internet connections. Otherwise, there would be no point.

How does bridging or trunking increase network speed though?

wbrost

Intermediate
                      « Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
                      How does bridging or trunking increase network speed though?

on the PC bridging links the two NICs together and forms one with double the original link speed. example would be two 1GB cards working as one to provide 2GB. The same theory applies to Trunking.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                        • Yes
                        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
                      « Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
                      Yeah, like Percy Weasley in "Harry Potter."

I think he means "prefetches."

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
                        what????  ::) :o  Any way he stated that he had two connections.  I thought cause they were seperate that you couldnt tie the two together to get the data packets to come threw both of them.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        • Certifications: List
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
                        an example would be, if you had a gigabit WAN connected to a router and two 100mbps NICs in a PC, using both would be faster.

But, No consumer oriented Internet connection(that I know of) achieves even more then 100mbps.

I was answering the original question:

I was just wondering is it possible to have two seprate nics downloading from the internet on the same computer via a router effectively doubling your speed

If the OP is using a standard DSL or Cable connection, chances are their connection does not exceed the 100mbps throughput that their NIC is capable of- assuming it is "only" 100mbps.

The question is basically asking wether it will be faster. It will not, for any consumer-targeted internet connection, allow for faster speeds. In order for it to do so:

The Internet connection itself must be higher then the total throughput of the NICs.

the Router must support gigabit (otherwise it's WAN interface will only be 100mbps as well, limiting the total traffic to all LAN connections to 100mbps regardless of the actual capabilities of the Internet connection).

both NICs must support simultaneous usage... not so much a problem now since IRQ/DMA contention is now a thing of the past.

However, on the other hand, most PCs now come with an on-board gigabit connection, in which case two gigabit connections will NOT increase the speed of downloads.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »
                        I think you've got a bridge confused with something else: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge
                        Might want to check out trunking, too. Maybe link aggregation?

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »
                        what are some of the fore mentioned programs?