Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speaker static/crackling when windows loads  (Read 7021 times)

alarune

Topic Starter

Starter

Speaker static/crackling when windows loads
    « on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
    A few days ago, my right speaker suddenly started producing this static/crackling noise.  First, I checked all my wire connections and muted the microphone/aux volume in the sound mixer with no effect.  Then I tested the speakers on my other computer and found that they worked perfectly (my speakers still function on my computer, albeit with the annoying static popping throughout). 

I scanned for viruses and spyware, reinstalled all the drivers (sound blaster live 24 bit), and tried system restore all with no effect.  I think I've ruled out environmental factors such as wiring and interference from cell phones/monitors.

Perhaps the most notable part was that the speaker only starts to make the noise when windows loads... and they work perfectly in safe mode.  I killed all unnecessary services/programs and still have the problem.  I also searched this site and read that a wireless router signal could disrupt the speakers, but my right speaker still spits out static with the wireless router powered down.  I'm crazy stuck... if anybody has any suggestions I'd really appreciate the help :)

Speakers:  Logitech X-230

macdad-

Expert

Re: Speaker static/crackling when windows loads
      « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
      You may just be getting some electrical noise from the CPU during start-up.

How old are the speakers and your CPU?
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

alarune

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
        both the speakers and the cpu are around 4 years old, and I've never had this type of problem with them before.  I'm not sure what electrical noise is, but the static always starts at the exact same time, when windows is loading (around the 9th or 10th load bar they make a POP and then start crackling away).

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
          Just for refrence, Electrical Noise is the excess electrical signals a circuit gives off that travels thru the wires.

During boot up, the CPU, RAM, and especially the Hard Drive give off Electrical Noise this then finds its way out to your speakers thru your sound card, fortunately electrical noise isn't that bad and doesn't do any damage. If it gives you more problems(like no sound at all) you should consider getting your sound card checked.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • My first self-built computer
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »

Perhaps the most notable part was that the speaker only starts to make the noise when windows loads... and they work perfectly in safe mode. 
          You might check the power supply wiring to your optical drive(s), hard drive (s), external drive(s), ect. (anything that reacts differently or not at all in safe mode).

smeezekitty

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
          i agree sounds like eletrical noise
          but it maybe picking up extra eletrical noise because the
          sound card is going out? (maybe)

alarune

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
            I've had this set up for a few months now, and haven't had any problems before a few days ago.  If it was electrical noise, would there be a way to fix it?  and also, how would i fix the power supply wiring?  just move it away from the audio cable?

thanks again guys, this is really frustrating...

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
            how would i fix the power supply wiring?  just move it away from the audio cable?

The power supplied to the components from the Power Supply Unit will be on the inside of the case. Are you familiar with working inside the case (power cord disconnected, your body grounded to the metal chassis before touching anything inside, ect}?

alarune

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
              Possible breakthrough!  When I plug headphones into the front of my computer (headphone jack), the speaker static stops completely.  Also, if I play music, the speakers AND headphones will output audio without static on either one.  I tried plugging the speakers themselves into the headphone jack, and again, no static!   

Any ideas on why the speakers sound fine in the headphone jack, but not their intended jack in the back of the pc?  It's like the speakers want something plugged into the headphone jack or to be plugged in there themselves... I appreciate the suggestions about power supply, but i think it has to do with the headphone jack somehow.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that my speakers have a built in headphone jack.  When headphones are plugged in here, the speakers do not output audio (but also don't produce static).

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
                Possible breakthrough!  When I plug headphones into the front of my computer (headphone jack), the speaker static stops completely.  Also, if I play music, the speakers AND headphones will output audio without static on either one.  I tried plugging the speakers themselves into the headphone jack, and again, no static!   

Any ideas on why the speakers sound fine in the headphone jack, but not their intended jack in the back of the pc?  It's like the speakers want something plugged into the headphone jack or to be plugged in there themselves... I appreciate the suggestions about power supply, but i think it has to do with the headphone jack somehow.

Sounds like the sound card's filtering circuit was going out, and the headphon jack's filtering circuit is fine, you would've been able to fix the sound card with some really intense soldering, but I wounldn't mess with it.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »

Any ideas on why the speakers sound fine in the headphone jack, but not their intended jack in the back of the pc? 
                Is this an integrated sound card or add-in card?

If your lucky your problem is caused by dust/dirt ect collected in the speaker output jack. You could try blowing the crap out with compressed air in a can.

Speaking of blowing out dust, how long since you removed the cover and blew out the dust on the inside of the machine?

If this doesn't help (if it's an add-in card) you can try reseating the sound card in it's socket.

Or, next step is sound card replacement.