Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best film of all time!  (Read 12131 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Best film of all time!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
I haven't got a favourite film as such, but I have a favourite director, and he is Pedro Almodóvar. I just saw his latest, "Los Abrazos Rotos" and it's up there with his best.

Mulreay

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »
"The Shawshank Redemption"
Just for starters...

Brilliant film  :D

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »
I love Wall-E as well though... erm... favourite??

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »
I hated wall-e

hot dog

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:31 AM »
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"  :)

I like world history a lot, and this movie is based on some fascinating aspects of world history

Salmon Trout

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
"Raiders of the Lost Ark"  :)

I like world history a lot, and this movie is based on some fascinating aspects of world history

invented aspects of world myths more like.

Mulreay

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »

Heh very true. Look at the new one.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »

From where do the myths come?  Why do so many different cultures share common themes?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Mulreay

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »
From where do the myths come?  Why do so many different cultures share common themes?

What shared myths just to ask?

hot dog

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »
It just boils down to whether or not you believe the Holy Bible is true...   The Movie is based on the Ark of the Covenant, a biblical subject..

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
Let me hijack the thread long enough to recommend Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth."  It's kind of an overview of what he discovered in his career of exploring religion and myth.  The birth/death/resurrection of Jesus was not the first time that story was told.  The Egyptians had a similar story in Isis, Osiris, and Horus.  "The hero's journey" is another common theme across cultures:  the young man who must undertake a journey to fight or win something.  Myths about the stars, and constellations are common.  Many cultures have myths about the Pleiades, for example.

I used to think that because the myths and religions may not be literally true, that they are invalid, but I no longer think that way.  They are the guides we have to understanding life, and the transition to manhood / womanhood, and our place in the world.

Some would say some of the problems in our societies are due to the fact that we no longer pay attention to the myths, and miss the important lessons.

Films:
"Star Trek 2:  The Wrath of Khan"
"Star Trek 4:  The Voyage Home"

Mulreay

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 09:20:53 AM »
I understand what your saying. I think the world has it's problems because we value the same things 'power and control' but we now have the means to carry that power and control across the world.

hot dog

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
The birth/death/resurrection of Jesus was not the first time that story was told.  

I'm not sure what you're saying...     Are you saying there are similar stories of crucifixion that took place before the death of Jesus, or are you saying that the story of Jesus in the Holy Bible was taken from an event that occurred before the recorded historical time of Jesus?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Agreed -- and this Internet thing -- pretty much the sum total of the world's knowledge available to more people than ever before -- with all the good and bad that comes along for the ride.

Mulreay

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
Agreed -- and this Internet thing -- pretty much the sum total of the world's knowledge available to more people than ever before -- with all the good and bad that comes along for the ride.

Unfortunately true.