Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Click, Desktop Icons Don't Open, Weird Cursor  (Read 3822 times)

Topper

Can't Click, Desktop Icons Don't Open, Weird Cursor
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:58:37 AM »
I really hope this issue can be solved easily.  I have no idea what I did but it obviously was really stupid and here I am begging for help.

This morning when I started up, everything was fine.  It was the time I read one of those news stories on a timer that switches to the next image that this problem came.  When one tab opened, it would open like 2 or 3 others with it.  They would stay open and now I see that if I click on them, they automatically close.  It made it difficult to register here and compose this because the tab would be lost and then when I tried to close the others, the rest would close too. ???

I also cannot click anything on a website.  I have to keep clicking like 10 times before the blinking cursor lets me know it is alright to type.  I also cannot hightlight anything or backspace.  Naturally, this makes it tough to navigate around.

I first noticed something was wrong when I could not open with a single double click any icon on my desktop.  I can only get through by a right click.  And once I right click to open, I get the multiple tabs open.

And finally, my regular white arrow/flashing loading circle icon is now some circle with two arrows and a dot.  Almost like the arrow that comes when trying to move windows.  It is useless and I can hardly click anything with it.

I have no idea what I did that caused this but I would extremely grateful if anyone can post any solutions.  Please.   

hot dog

Re: Can't Click, Desktop Icons Don't Open, Weird Cursor
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:43:10 AM »
I can't understand exactly what you're talking about, but I have a suspicion that your hard drive is cluttered, have too many programs may be running at the same time, and may have some viruses as well..

Start by going into the Configuration Utility and disabling all programs in the "start up" tab.  Click START, type "RUN" in the search box, click on "RUN" when it appears.. type  msconfig and click on "OK"    When the configuration utility appears on your screen, click on the "start up" tab, click "disable all", click "apply" click "ok" and then restart your computer....

Now try doing some of your normal activities and see if any of your problems have been corrected...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:13 AM »
You may want to clean out your Temp Internet files as well...run diskclean and defrag from Start/Accessories...
Let them run to completion and walk away while they run...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with your hard drive. Have you rebooted since the problem appeared? Have you emptied your Temporary Internet Files? Have you tried a different browser (for example, if you're using IE try Firefox and see if you have the same problem). Have you scanned your system with an AV and either MalwareBytes or Super Antispyware? Let's try these things and see what happens.